Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Fandom:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Sinful Desire
Stats:
Published:
2015-03-14
Completed:
2015-03-15
Words:
7,870
Chapters:
4/4
Kudos:
1
Bookmarks:
3
Hits:
134

Baggage & Booties

Summary:

Another Trip to the Winchester Ranch

Notes:

Note from the Sinful Desire archivists: this story was originally archived at Sinful-Desire.org. To preserve the archive, we began importing its works to the AO3 as an Open Doors-approved project in November 2016. We e-mailed all creators about the move and posted announcements, but may not have reached everyone. If you are (or know) this creator, please contact us using the e-mail address on Sinful Desire collection profile.

Chapter 1: Flatline

Chapter Text

“You’re doing great Belle.” She panted just a bit, the thin sheen of sweat merely uncomfortable in the face of everything else. “Push.”

 

“Nnnnnyeaaaagh!” She groaned her way through the most recent contraction to rattle her teeth. She knew that next week she would remember the pain only as a means to the very blessed end, but right now she was pretty sure she wanted to kill someone. It didn’t even matter who. She thought if he tried to ply her with more encouraging sweet nothings it would be him.

 

“You’re doing fantastic. I’m so proud of you.” It was all she could do not to deck him right then, but then there were ice chips on her tongue and a cool cloth on her forehead and so she felt he might be saved. “Are you ready for another one?”

 

Part of her wanted to scream. “Fuck you! How ready would you be to shove an orange through your dick?” But that statement never came, just a silent tired nod and he helped pull her up into position again. There was a loving rub against her back and the sweet, sweet smile and her frustrated exhaustion abated just a bit.

 

“Push.”

 

“Nnnnnyeaaaagh!” She lay back but even before the doctor checked she knew it was close to the end.

 

“Okay, take a moment to get ready.” The doctor confirmed. “You’re only going to need one or two more.” She could feel the blood in her ears, crashing like an angry sea on the rocks. Just one or two more? She could do this, had done this before, would never do this again . . .

 

A cool ice chip against her lips, the soft cool cloth and a warm dry towel and the soft sweet voice at her ear. “I don’t think I’ll ever be able to tell you what this means to me, to us. You’re my greatest hero, Belle. I love you so much.” She managed a small weak smile. “Are you ready to finish this?” She nodded.

 

He helped her back up so she could get the leverage to finish. She gripped his hand tight; real tight if his facial expression was any indication, but that’s what you get, she thought.

 

“Nnnnnyeaaaagh!”

 

“That’s the crown out Belle.” The doctor informed from his ringside seat. “One more.”

 

“Nnnnnyeaaaagh!”

 

And Belle’s cry was joined by another; a much smaller one, but one gaining strength. “It’s a boy!” The doctor announced for them. Then all hell breaks loose.

 

His father cut the cord and then the nurses whisked the tiny body off for weighing and measuring and cleaning and Belle just used the time to breath against all odds. She opened her eyes just as the nurse came back with the tiny wrapped bundle.

 

She handed it to Dean. “Mr. Winchester, how would you like to meet your son?”

 

Belle looked on as Sam kissed her forehead, tears in his eyes. “Thank you.”

 

“Are you ready Belle. I think the second one is ready for his entrance.”

 

“I guess so.” Sam squeezed her hand and rose from his perch on the edge of her bed to help her again when the monitor beside the bed screamed that pitiful sound and the line went flat.

 

 

Almost three years earlier.

 

The trial was a blessedly short affair. After all, cowards cave in at the mere suggestion of their own discomfort. First, the four they knew gave up Lucky at the threat of losing their own anonymity when an open court was suggested. Second, they all accepted their sentences to avoid amending the charges to attempted murder. So short, in fact, that they were looking at a Valentine’s Day without anything hanging over their heads.

 

Still Sam was frustrated. He couldn’t find anything for Dean and it was dangerously close to the day so the stores were crowded. Castiel was a barking machine back in the truck, but he was here with Belle and try as he might, the crush of people was still hard for him to take. Not to mention he was worried about his little pregnant body guard. She was just over six months pregnant, but she was so pale and got tired so easily these days that Sam worried something was wrong.

 

“Just carrying an extra twenty pounds around Sam. No biggie.”

 

“Really? Because I read the books.” Her head snapped to him in surprise. “Yea well I read a lot anyway.” He explained and then a little louder to get them back on track. “And the book said you shouldn’t be fatigued anymore until the very end.”

 

“Yes well the book also says ‘This book is a guide; every woman is different’. Just because you started up your rapid fire push ups again, doesn’t mean that there’s anything wrong with me.”

 

“You know I’m just worried about you.” He gave her back a gentle rub as she rubbed the tummy in front.

 

“I know Sam, don’t worry, I’ll let you know if anything feels wrong.”

 

“Hey Winchester!” Sam flinched and spun to the voice behind him as if ready to strike. Sam still didn’t like people coming up behind him. Everyone understood that one and no one really expected that would ever go away.

 

“Hey Brad.” Sam heaved a sigh of relief. “How was your New Years?”

 

“Great. Oh, hey Belle. Didn’t see you there.” He leaned down and kissed her cheek. “How’s the little mommy?”

 

“Good. How’s Daisy?”

 

“Great. That is as long as I get the right gift here. Listen, I’m in a bit of a hurry, but seeing you guys just saved me a phone call. If you’re still interested in working for the ball team this year, we’re having a barbeque last Sunday of the month to elect officers and that businessy crap. So bring Dean and Jer and. . .” He trailed off looking at Belle and taking in her condition. “Sweet potato pie.”

 

Belle smiled her 40 watt smile. “Yes Brad, I can still manage a sweet potato pie.”

 

“Great.” He kissed her cheek again and gave Sam’s arm a slap. “See you then.” He turned back in the direction he had been going, but just as quickly turned back. “It’s really good to see you Sam. You look good.”

 

“Thanks Brad. See you then.”

 

Belle watched him watch his friend go. “It still bugs you doesn’t it?”

 

“What? That everyone I know, has their own idea of the shape I was in and why.”

 

“For a guy who’s so smart, you really don’t understand much.”

 

“Thanks, Belle . . . thanks for that.”

 

“Come on Sam, Brad is not your best friend but he can feel bad that you were hurt. And the whole county knows you were hurt. There just aren’t a lot of things to say. The things that you and I can say, that we can talk about now are not the things that Brad can bring up in the food court at the mall, hell you still haven’t told Dean half of what you tell me and Livie.” She took him by the hand supportively. “So people tell you that you look good and its good to see you up and around and a million other awkward things, but watch their eyes Sam. They talk to you with their eyes.”

 

“You mean they feel sorry for me.”

 

“Not anymore Sam. That’s not pity you see. It’s admiration, respect. They’re looking at Sam Winchester in a whole different way.”

 

“You’re laying a lot on the shoulders of a humble Texas cowboy, Sister.”

 

“You’re not just a humble cowboy anymore Sam, you’re a survivor and if there’s anything I’ve learned about Texans, they love a survivor.” She turned on her heel and set off towards the exit leaving him dumbfounded in her wake. “Now come on, you’re not going to find anything and my feet hurt.”