Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Fandom:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Sinful Desire
Stats:
Published:
2011-02-23
Completed:
2011-03-17
Words:
15,577
Chapters:
7/7
Kudos:
1
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
60

005 - Who's afraid of the big bad wolf!?

Summary:

Based on legends from the Omer plains in Omer, Michigan. Dean runs up against his mortality, his feelings for Sam, and creatures that make Hell Hounds look like puppies.

Please read and review! Reviews are always nice, kind of like butter on pancakes, great to season and yummy with maple syrup! :^)

Notes:

Note from the Sinful Desire archivists: this story was originally archived at Sinful-Desire.org. To preserve the archive, we began importing its works to the AO3 as an Open Doors-approved project in November 2016. We e-mailed all creators about the move and posted announcements, but may not have reached everyone. If you are (or know) this creator, please contact us using the e-mail address on Sinful Desire collection profile.

Chapter 1: Chapter 1

Chapter Text

OMER, MICHIGAN

 

Todd Booker, Sam Holtzclaw, and Tyler Jackson were piled in the Toyota and headed into what for them for a great many at their high school is ‘no-man’s land’, the swamps and pine forests known as the Omer Plains. They had several bottles of liquid courage in themselves and were prepared to battle the unknown. In this case the rumours that had been floating around the locker room at Omer Consolidated High School. Todd had just turned 16 and had more than a little arm twisting by his peers to venture forth onto the plains at a certain time of the month, naturally, at a certain hour, naturally.

 

Sam and Tyler were coerced as well into the trip by some seniors who’d made the journey. When asked if they wanted to go back out with them they bluffed their way out of the situation and declined. So Sam and Tyler were going in with as much information as Todd had which is to say, nil.

 

It was getting close to 2:30 in the morning, the fog lay in stretching tendrils on the ground and bounding to waist height as the car plunged down the logging road into the plains. They passed through a given area where they were told it was safe to enter and drove the required 1.5 miles into the plains. Todd got out of the car after much urging from his buddies and walked out into the night and into the beams of the small cars headlights. Tyler held up his cell phone and started videoing their friend. He clowned around for a bit then suddenly pitched forward as if butted from behind.

 

Suddenly there were three boys in terror, one outside the car and two inside. Todd’s back suddenly looked as if someone were taking ten carving knives and opening the shirt and flesh to the night air. The fog was parted around him now. Todd rolled over quickly to punch at his attacker when the force of nature ripped out his throat. Sam and Tyler already had the car in reverse and suddenly found reason to jam the gas pedal. They were hurled backwards into the night. As an afterthought Sam spun in his seat to attempt to see where they were going he screamed and gunned the engine a bit more when he heard a sickening crunch on the hood and saw four saucer sized indentations appear in the metal of the hood.

 

They crossed the area of entry and the force seemed to be gone as sudden as it came.

 

“HOLY SHIT! DID YOU SEE THAT!!??” Sam blatted.

 

“It was a little hard to miss!!! Goddamn it, what was that!!??” Tyler screamed.

 

“I don’t know, but Todd’s still out there!” Sam returned just as upset. “What the fuck do we do!?”

 

“Call 911, man!”

 

“We’re not supposed to even be out tonight, how the hell…” Sam said his stirred up common sense abandoning him completely.

 

“Fuck that!” He turned off the video and then called 911 only to have the cell phone snatched out of his hand and flung out the car window.

 

“SAM!” Tyler yelped.

 

“That’s got shit on it that could stir a lot of shit.” Sam said then called 911 on his phone, neither one noting the shape the fog seemed to envelope on the boundary line was that of a very large canine.

 

BEAUMONT, NORTH CAROLINA two days later.

 

“Dean, come on and shake a freaking leg, it’s not like we got much of a choice in this.” Sam Winchester shouted at the closed bathroom door. The door opened then and a much naked and wet Dean Winchester came striding out like he was in a locker room he quickly toweled off and started dressing.

 

“Keep yer britches hitched Francis. I’m moving.” Dean said sharply. “Did Bobby say what he was wanting to see us about?”

 

“Nope, he just said it was important and for us to drop what we were doing and get our asses back there quick as we could.” Sam muttered. “He was pretty stirred up, well pretty stirred up for him.” Sam said then corrected himself.

 

Dean finished dressing and was pulling on a clean pair of socks then his boots. They were soon packed up and back on the road, with Dean going at full volume with Def Leppard. And Sam could tell by the look on his face he wasn’t happy.

 

They’d just wrapped up a hunt, and were looking at taking at least a couple of days off, they’d already secured their room and was about to go grocery shopping when the call came through. They were just into the late afternoon hours when the phone rang again and again it was Bobby.

 

“Where y’all at?” He asked.

 

“Middle of Kentucky, why?” Dean shot.

 

“Turn tracks to Michigan, I’ll meet you there, little town called Omer. Get a room and call me when you get settled in.”

 

Dean was about to say something else when the line went dead. He gave the destination to Sam who began mapquesting for the best route to Omer. After several minutes he finally got what he wanted and saved the search.

 

“It’s a straight shot in on I-77 north.” Sam told him. Dean nodded and looked they were just coming up on a highway junction that would take them to the interstate. He took the turn off and followed the signs until at last he was on the superhighway leading to Michigan.

 

“We ever hunted there before?” Dean asked, “The town doesn’t ring a bell.”

 

“Same here.” Sam said, “Good it’ll be a new experience and one that won’t trip off the wall alarm.”

 

Dean’s hands tightened on the steering wheel. “Please don’t make jokes about that.”

 

“Aw…why not…it can’t be that delicate of a subject.” Sam said staring ahead and not noting the look in Dean’s eyes. After a moment of silence Sam turned in his seat and saw that Dean was both pale and shaking.

“Hey man, Dean, you okay bro?”

 

“No, I’m not.” Dean said his voice hoarse for a moment. He cleared his throat and concentrated on the road and his driving. “Back about a month ago when we did that job that was a repeat performance for ya. And when you had that run in with reality, I thought I lost you man. You were…” Dean gulped once, “You were dead still, emphasis on Dead. Cause I thought you were. You barely had a pulse, barely breathing.”

 

“Dude I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to bring that up.” Sam apologized profusely.

 

“It’s okay, just please don’t kid about that, because I’m frankly worried bad that you might touch the wall at the wrong point and more than that will come through.” Dean finished angrily swiping his face.

“Shit” He said under his breath.

 

“It’s cool Dean, we’re cool. I promise that I’ll keep an eye on that.” Sam replied.

 

They rode along in silence for several minutes when Sam finally spoke up, his brow furrowed in concern.

 

“It’s just strange that Bobby put out a all points alert for us like this and not let us in on what’s up.”

 

“Yeah, I think it’s weird too. Oh well, we got a day maybe two of hard driving but we’ll get there shortly.” Dean commented.

 

Sam sat back lulled by the sound of the highway and he drifted off to sleep.

 

Blink

 

He was dreaming, he didn’t know, his mind was convinced this was reality, but once again he was inside fighting to get out, straining against the prison that Lucifer had created in his mind, trying with all his will to find a chink in the armor that that damned angel had put up against him. He saw through his own eyes that they were facing down Adam, well it’s Adam’s body but the archangel Michael is currently occupying it.

 

He can tell they are ramping up for a fight, then Castiel hurls a fire bomb which consumed Michael for the moment. Lucifer/Sam turned on him, Sam fighting hard to force the release, and finally finding a chink, something so very small and forelorn that fortunately Lucifer forgot about it. He concentrated his will there then turned his attention back to his eyes for a moment and saw that Lucifer was pounding the everloving dog squeeze out of Dean. He finally had his fist pulled back in what would have probably been a knockout blow when the eyes caught sight of a tiny plastic toy soldier. Such an insignificant piece of nothing in the car, but it was enough for Sam to suddenly find a well of strength, a will to push with and he pressed hard on the chink and broke through. He felt Lucifer stunned and starting to rally his energy when he cast the rings on the ground and said the incantation.

 

He was reliving all of this and his mind was fighting to get past the realization of what was going on, then he was falling into blackness and his world winked out of existence for the time. His next conscious thought as the full Sam was waking up in the basement panic room at Bobby’s. He looked around and saw that the room was quiet, Dean was there, but was curled up against the wall, huddled down battered and torn. Standing over him was Castiel, breathing hard his fists red with Dean’s blood.

“I rebelled, I became outcast for you and this is how you repay me!” Castiel bellowed.

 

Suddenly the angel raised his arm, his fist suddenly glowing with a gold white light, Dean is near unconsciousness and can’t raise a finger to stop what is about to happen.

 

“Castiel, please…don’t.” Sam said quietly but loud enough to catch the angels attention and cause him to whirl and look at Sam, he walked over then and sat on the edge of the bed. Sam feels both comforted and threatened by this gesture. Especially when the angel rolls up his sleeve and plunges his hand into Sam’s abdomen.

 

Sam woke to the sound of his own scream and the unmistakable swerving sensation of Dean trying to get control back of the car. Dean pulled over at an underpass and looked at Sam a moment. His eyes were wide with panic. Sam was red faced, drenched in sweat, his own eyes looking for a moment like someone using hard drugs. Red rimmed, bloodshot, pupils shot wide open. He looked for a moment like someone in the last stages of a deadly panic.

 

“Sammy, Sammy, come on man don’t do this.” Dean said, his voice cracking again.

 

“I’ll be okay Dean, it was just a nightmare.” Well that was what he tried to say all that came out of his mouth was “Dean”. His brother grabbed him in a tight hug and comfortingly stroked his back and his hair. After a few moments Sam was able to pull himself back together. He was able to focus on the here and now and in his focus he took in their surroundings. They were basically in the middle of nowhere, they were on an interstate that was singularly void of habitation on either side of the road for miles. There was also damn little traffic.

 

Dean finally straightened up when he felt Sam breathing normally again. He looked at his little brother and asked in what he thought was a thoroughly reasonable tone. “Nightmare?”

 

“Yeah man, it was my death then my life. Nothing in between which is a good thing, but I dreamed of everything that happened in that cemetery in Kansas. I remember it all.” His eyes tears up and his voice cracked. “I remember beating you nearly to death,”

 

“Sam don’t…” Dean started.

 

“I remember snapping Bobby’s neck and then destroying Castiel with Holy Fire. I remember all of that.” The tears were flowing freely now. He couldn’t control this part, his emotions had been on the ragged edge since his soul was implanted, now they were shattered.

 

“Sam that wasn’t you.” Dean argued.

 

“It was Lucifer, I know that. I also know that I willingly gave him control of my body. Dean I’m so damned it’s not funny.”

 

“Come on Sammy, you were being used, you couldn’t control what was happening.”

 

“You say that, my mind says that, but my eyes and hands did it all and I felt it, I felt the rush of power as he killed Bobby and Castiel, I felt the bloodlust as he was beating you senseless.”

 

“Come on Sammy, these thoughts, not productive man. You’ve got to get past this shit.” Dean said his voice level.

 

“Dean, hard as you try you’re not dad and I’ll never be as good as you as shuffling my emotions into some box.” Sam gasped between sobs. “Drive, just drive.” Sam said and he turned then and looked out the window of the car feeling suddenly, totally, alone. And that feeling was more depressing and distressing to him than anything he’d ever felt before in his life.

 

Dean turned his attention back to the road and got back into the stream of traffic before they could be noticed. Dean was fighting a war with his own emotions and was gratified when he saw an exit sign that announced a motel at the next exit in 5 miles. Dean floored the car and made the motel in record time. He pulled into the parking lot and got a thoroughly puzzled look from Sam.

 

“Dude, we got like 5 hours till sundown, then at least 8 hours of good night driving what gives?” Sam said distantly.

 

“You…we need some time, this with Bobby is important but so are you, let’s take a few hours and defuse then we’ll get back on the road, I promise to scare the pants off you with my driving as we make up for any lost time.” Dean said with a grin that somehow was troubled.

 

Sam sighed and got out of the car. Dean went in and booked a room, then they walked down to it. Entering they found that the motel wasn’t a roach coach. It was actually well kept and clean. Sam crashed on one of the beds his eyes haunted.

 

Dean sat down on the other bed looking at him a long moment then he got up and lay down beside Sam. He didn’t say a word but pulled Sam into his arms in a hard, long embrace. They lay like that for several minutes, Sam not really wanting to break contact and in fact was gripping Dean furiously as he strove to get control back over his emotions. Finally he sighed long and deep.

 

“Depressed?” Dean asked knowing the answer.

 

“A little yeah.”

 

“Well I know how to fix that, get up.” He said swatting Sam on the chest. “You’re going out getting drunk then getting laid. Maybe not in that order.” Dean said with a leer.

 

“How about we save the going out, buy a bottle, stay in and still get laid?” Sam suggested.

 

“That idea has merit too.” Dean responded.