Actions

Work Header

003 - All Day Suckers

Summary:

Book Three. More soul suckers reaping havoc. Looks like the dynamic duo plus one is getting involved in this one.

Review please, they help me out a lot in planning and changing writing styles so as to get better.

Notes:

Note from the Sinful Desire archivists: this story was originally archived at Sinful-Desire.org. To preserve the archive, we began importing its works to the AO3 as an Open Doors-approved project in November 2016. We e-mailed all creators about the move and posted announcements, but may not have reached everyone. If you are (or know) this creator, please contact us using the e-mail address on Sinful Desire collection profile.

Chapter 1: Chapter 1

Chapter Text

Authors Note: This is the third installment in the Sam, Dean and Theo stories, if you are new to this a little background info is in order. Basically Theo is an angel on parole and his parole officers are Sam and Dean, they are also his penance. He is to work with them for a period of 10 years; this story takes place 3 years after the initial pairing. If you’re curious now about how this came about go back and read “Tremors” and the companion story “My Mechanic is an angel.” By the way my most special thanks to “Writing_in_secret” for the idea of Bobby giving the couple a trailer in the back of his lot. And giving me permission to play with that story tool.

 

Story:

 

It was the lover’s parking spot in town, tonight relatively not busy; only three cars were present two relatively new models and a classic a 1957 Chevy BelAir. Harvey and Joyce Balters were up there for their 10 anniversary and enjoying an evening of just watching the stars go by when suddenly there was a rocking in a car about 50 feet away. They traded looks and grinning Harvey nodded in the direction of the car.

 

“If this car’s rock, don’t come knockin.” He said in a whisper.

Joyce elbowed him with a shushing motion, then they were both startled as the passenger side glass blew out in fragments and a shape seemed to waft out of the car and away through the night.

Joyce and Harvey exchanged a glance and Harvey pulled out his service revolver, got out of their car and walked towards the other, he was within 10 feet when he immediately returned to his car and grabbed up his cell phone and turned it back on. He placed a call, “Susie, yeah, Harvey here, look we’re up at Thompson’s point and there’s been an incident. Yep it’s happening again. Get some cruisers rolling and knock out the crime lab folk. “

 

………………………..

 

“Winters…Sam Winters… please report to the pharmacy pick up window. “ Sam _Winters_ was busily looking over some fishing gear with his brother Dean and “little brother”, Theo in the sporting goods department of their Wal-Mart. Sam gave them a glance and walked away leaving Dean and Theo to plunder the sporting goods section. Sam groaned and hoped that their credit cards were still good. He got to the pharmacy window and the young assistant took his identification and after a quick perusal gave it back and took a pack to give to him motioning him to the credit card device.

“If you’ll just sign there please.” She said pleasantly. Sam complied and waiting a moment the clerk said, “That’s $4.28 sir.” Sam pleased to hear that put up the questionable credit card and peeled a fiver off the bills he had in his pocket. He took his change, his prescription and walked back to sporting goods where Dean and Theo were checking out with three casting rods and a tackle box with complete gear. It was just as left the pharmacy that Rusty, a beautiful Labrador Retriever and a service dog for seizure patients. Butted against him causing him to slightly stumble, Sam took the hint and headed back into pharmacy and sat down on one of the benches. Rusty dutifully sat by his feet looking at him with those big soulful eyes that seem the best part made of a dog. Then the department, the world for that matter for Sam grayed out a bit and he put out a stabilizing arm as the petit mal seizure came and went, one of the pharmacy clerks was out with him in an instant.

“Are you okay sir?” She asked.

“Better now thanks.” Sam answered.

“Do you have someone in the store that’s waiting on you?”

“They’re back in sporting goods.”Sam said sitting back and catching his breath as the clerk went the opposite direction for a moment.

 

“Would the party with Sam Winters please come to the Pharmacy department, would the party…” The clerk announced over the Public Address system. Sam was going to fuss but held his peace no sense in going off on a young lady who was doing what she thought was in everyone’s best interest.

Dean and Theo were there in a few minutes with their purchases of rods, reels, and tackle. “Hey thought we’d make the best of some time off. Seizure?” Dean asked.

Sam nodded, “Light one. And yes I agree about making the best of the good time.” There was precious little of that in their lives recently with all the case work they were doing. Sam was about to relax when his cell went off. He pulled it out of his pocket and checked the caller ID and answered.

“Yeah Bobby what’s up? Oh really…and we were asked for by name…who called it…oh shit…okay, we’ll be there in about a half hour. No I’m driving this time. Yeah see ya.” Clipping the phone shut and pocketing it he and ‘the boys’ made their way from sporting goods out to the front entrance and towards the Impala.

“You sure about you driving and all?” Dean asked concerned. Sam scowled and Dean threw up his hands in a futile gesture. They got in the car before Dean asked. “What’s cooking?”

“Remember Susan Warley from down in Laramie, Wyoming, we worked a case for her dad when we were teenagers and you were lost in puppy love over her.”

“Puppy love hell, it was full blown dog rutting season as I remember it.” Dean sniped back.

“She called again, there seems to be a recurrence of that strega attack over there.” Sam said.

“Strega?” Theo asked from the back seat.

“Yeah it’s a kind of Russian Vampire that steals the very life force or soul from the body, usually killable with a simple bullet when they are corporeal.” Sam said quickly. Sam was just getting seated in when he grabbed his head in a spasm.

“Sam…Sammy…okay you are so not driving.” Dean said jumping out and running around the car. “Theo, help me shift him over.” It was a hard moment’s work but it was done. Sam was holding his head now tears flowing from the pain. “Okay that’s blows it we are so getting you to the hospital.”

“Just drive home Dean.” Theo said calmly, and then he laid his hands on Sam’s temples and sent a wave of soothing energy racing through Sam’s body, however, what he got in return caused him to shake and tremble. “Oh my God. Dean drive now, we’ve got to get him back into the compound.” Dean didn’t have to be told twice. It took a little under 20 minutes but soon they were pulling into the yard. Bobby came racing out with Castiel in close pursuit. Sam was not clutching his head now, in fact he was unconscious.

“Dean what’s wrong?” Castiel shouted at the same time Bobby opened the door and had to grab Sam to keep him from falling out of the car.

“I don’t know we just got his scripts filled and he suddenly grabbed his head. Wait what’s the date, shit my mind is working slow today, the date gentlemen?” Dean asked stridently.

“September 7” Bobby said, “What’s that got to do with the price of beans in Turkey?”

“Bobby, it’s the anniversary of when we loosed Lucifer. Castiel warned that between that date and the date we sent him back to the pit Sam might be subject to psychic attacks.” Dean said getting Sam levered up and hauled out of the car, Castiel took the other side and Bobby took his feet, they carefully carried him into the house and laid him on the sofa in the living room.

“Out of the way.” Castiel said walking over to him and kneeling he placed one hand on Sam’s forehead and one over his heart. He closed his eyes momentarily and then Sam in a gasping shock rose up slightly.

“Wha’ happen’” Sam asked drunkenly.

“September 7th Sammy.” Dean said quietly.

Sam paled then leaned his head back slowly. “I hate to sound like a wuss but will this ever be over and done with.”

Castiel sighed and shook his head wearily. “I wish I could tell you for certain Sam, what this is for you is like Post Traumatic Stress for a Veteran. You’ll have to deal with this for some time to come but maybe what I did will help make it a little easier.”

“Yeah, I remember when this happened last year, we were on the road to a job and I just passed out for a while, but nothing like this.” Sam said his breath hitching.

“Well you had that secondary head injury where that crazy redneck tried to bash in your skull with a rifle butt. I think it stirred the pudding.” Dean said grimacing. “Is there anything we can do to help this be easier for him Cas?”

Castiel looked at them with pity, “Like I said I tried to place a block in Sam to cordon off this memory, but frankly the event is so charged with negative feelings and energy that I’m afraid that I can do will be temporary. I can delve further into this but due to the nature of what I’ll have to do….” Castiel pursed his lips thoughtfully. “I’m going to have to put in a request to the higher authority.” With that Castiel was gone in a whisper of air.

“Higher authority?” Bobby asked.

“Probably either Michael or Raphael.” Theo said casually.

“Most like Michael considering he’s wearing our brother’s meat suit.” Dean said nodding thoughtfully. Then he looked at Sam, “How are you feeling now?”

“Better, damn it Dean, I hate this shit, you’d think by now I’d be over this and I know it is a drag for you, don’t you sit there and deny it, I live with you. I honestly feel like a menopausal woman every year at this time.” Sam grunted.

“Just once a year…gee.” Dean said smiling lopsidedly earning a laugh from all around.

“Well I ain’t a delicate flower.” Sam snorted.

“Could have fooled me.” Dean shot, “Just saying.” He held up his hands defensively.

 

They passed the while in Bobby’s house until early evening was on them. It was about then that they heard a twin rustle in the air and Castiel and Michael came in through the Kitchen. He looked at the questioning looks from Bobby and the others Michael grinned. “We try to work out our landing zones where there is little chance of person traffic for the moment. So Sam, Cas tells me that you’re having annually recurring incidents of this.”

“Yeah, it didn’t hit real bad until today.” He told his brother and the arch angel occupying his brother at the time.

“Let me see.” Michael sat on the sofa next to Sam. He touched Sam’s temples gently and closed his eyes and probed him slightly. Suddenly Michael flew back on the sofa and looked at Sam. “The hell! Did you just consciously evict me?” Michael asked concerned.

“Not consciously no, I felt you probing around but you weren’t on any particular area that was causing discomfort.”

“Let me try this again.” Michael said resuming his place and this time gripping Sam’s head, “Oh ho! There it is a fragment of the old demon blood lust still in there. That was probably the catalyst. Well that’s pretty much attached to your conscious/subconscious mind and trying to free you of that could do some harm. However, I found the source of your main problem with the headaches, and a little tweak here…..and here. There, how does that feel?”

Sam looked at the ceiling for a moment and then refocused on the group. “Cool, that worked, thanks Adam, I mean Michael.”

“You’ll want to take the evening easy, no rambunctious antics, give your brain a chance to settle back into a regular rhythm. It will and you will improve. I can’t do much about the psychological aspects that is something you’re going to have to deal with yourself, but even though you did set off the chain reaction you also made up for it in the end, even if you…” Michael looked disapprovingly at Dean, “did have to kill Zachariah.”

“Hey it was him or me and frankly in a fight like that me is gonna win.” Dean said singularly cool.

“Didn’t say what you did was wrong, I just think that there were probably other ways you could have went about dealing with it.” Michael said reprovingly. “Well I’m done here, take it easy brother mine, you don’t have anything to prove to anyone except yourself, and basically the only advice I can give you is for you to quit beating yourself up over it.”

 

With that he was gone, Sam sat up on the couch and looked around the room. “Well I do feel better, and despite what he says after that trip down the rabbit hole I feel like I more than made up for releasing that bastard to start with.” He did look away for a moment and then back to the group, Dean was looking at him with a ‘get on with it’ expression. “Anyhow, what I regret most was getting suckered by Ruby and goaded into killing Lilith. Hell if I knew that bitch was the last seal I would have sealed her up in a cushion padded cave.”

 

Then he bit his lip and looked away again and then shook his head and looked back. “Nothing Dean, besides what I’m thinking is not productive to what we gotta do next.”

“If it was enough for you to get that look on your face then it’s bad enough for you to spill. What’s got your panties in a bunch?”

“Two things, the first is that through my fuck up I set the wheels in motion that basically saw to your possession Bobby and subsequent paralysis…”

“And if you have looked recently, I’m up and walking.” Bobby said sourly.

“You know me Bobby, I do guilt real well.” Sam looked then to Dean, “And what I did with Ruby and the wedge it drove between us. I hate to be a drama queen about it but I’ve tried to forget but my head keeps replaying that scene in the parking lot outside of St. Martins Hospital where you looked at me…”

“Sammy I wasn’t myself then…” Dean said defensively.

“Yes you were and you were right to say what you did. I fucked up.” Sam said calmly “You had every right then not to trust me. Hell thinking back at it, I wouldn’t trust me.”

“You’re not gonna get all wet on me are you?” Dean said with some patent male bravado.

“No, wouldn’t do any good for me to. And it’d just give me another headache. Besides I’m not a clean crier. So I wouldn’t submit that on anyone.” Sam looked at Theo, “You’re going to have to follow along on this as best as you can, I’m not about to relive it by playing through it in my mind again. And I sure as hell don’t want to think about it again so you can read me. I’m sorry Theo; there are just some things that should stay buried.”

Theo smiled and touched Sam’s hand. “I figure that if it’s something you want me to know you’ll tell me about it in your own time. If it’s not then it’s not germane to my own personal life. However, if it’s something that is troubling you I would hope that you would share it someday if for no other reason than to unload the baggage.”

 

Sam looked up then to Dean, then over to Bobby, “I don’t want to be a spoilsport but do you mind if we took on off to the trailer?”

Castiel stood and nodded to all in general, “I’m going to move on for a while as well, there are some things that I need to take care of.” Then poof, no angel.

Bobby smiled a bit, then shook his head, “Won’t bother me none, but are you sure you feel up to walking? My old wheelchair is in the back room.”

“No that’s okay I think I’d like to walk.” Sam said rising off the sofa, in moments he was joined in the yard by Theo and Dean. In the yard he looked back at the house and waved to Bobby and then started walking towards the back of the lot. He was setting a fairly slow pace of it, enjoying the night air. “I’ll make that up to Bobby later.”