Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Fandom:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Sinful Desire
Stats:
Published:
2010-10-29
Completed:
2011-03-27
Words:
35,545
Chapters:
13/13
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
83

004 - Fall from grace...

Summary:

Book Four. Sam's psychic abilities are on the rise but a case in which he is working with Castiel, goes south. Sam is responsible, and now must pay the consequences. Note: This story is dedicated to a very specific cause. HIV/AIDS Awareness.

Please Review, Good or bad, they help me write better.

Notes:

Note from the Sinful Desire archivists: this story was originally archived at Sinful-Desire.org. To preserve the archive, we began importing its works to the AO3 as an Open Doors-approved project in November 2016. We e-mailed all creators about the move and posted announcements, but may not have reached everyone. If you are (or know) this creator, please contact us using the e-mail address on Sinful Desire collection profile.

Chapter 1: Chapter 1

Chapter Text

Authors Note: This is the fourth installment in the Sam, Dean and Theo stories, if you are new to this a little background info is in order. Basically Theo is an angel on parole and his parole officers are Sam and Dean, they are also his penance. He is to work with them for a period of 10 years; this story takes place 5 years after the initial pairing. If you’re curious now about how this came about go back and read “Tremors”, “My Mechanic is an angel.”, and “All Day Suckers.” By the way my most special thanks to “Writing_in_secret” for the idea of Bobby giving the couple a trailer in the back of his lot. An d giving me permission to play with that story tool. By the way again for those who haven’t read my earlier work, I do have God himself popping in from time to time, the near apocalypse basically warned him that he’d been a bit lax in keeping an eye on the worlds smaller frame of people. And to get a mental image of God, I usually describe him a nattily dressed, spiked haired young man, someone who would fit in a crowd; actually he would stand out because I picture him as the Doctor in Dr. Who with David Tennant as the Doctor. ;^) Hope you enjoy.

 

Additional Note: This story deals with HIV+ consequences and happenings, there is no humour attached to the disease whatsoever, I find that a deadly serious topic and treat it as it deserves. I would like to dedicate this story to each and every person in the LGBTQ community that is either living with this situation or has/is fighting the war against AIDS. God love each of you. Waiting on a cure, I remain, yrs. Truly, Daibhi

 

 

Story:

 

Jasper, Wyoming

July 9, 2015

 

“Are you clear on the objective?” Castiel asked Sam as they proceeded into the building. Dean was busy on the other side of the building with Theo breaking in on that side as well. Once into the building it was little matter in locating the room in question, they could tell from the sounds coming from within that they were on the spawning grounds of some demonic activity.

 

“I’m clear on it don’t mean I gotta like it.” Sam muttered for the fifth time that evening, he knew what they had to do and was usually comfortable with the issue but this was entering territory that he was decidedly unsure of in himself. He proceeded to psyche himself up and relax to allow the exorcising energy flow through him. He and Castiel were just outside the door to the room when a rustle in the hallway caught their attention, Castiel motioned Sam to check it out and it was three plainly clothed persons approaching the room, all with the coal black eyes of demons possessed. Sam readied himself and stepped casually into the hallway.

 

“Hi guys, miss me.” He said cockily then blew them and kiss and powered up hitting all three simultaneously. The exorcism was quick and left three bodies lying in a pile, all three were walking corpses. He spun and ran back to the door hyped up now. “Let’s do this.” He grunted.

 

Castiel flung the door wide and they entered a room from hell, there were about 50 cages lining the walls each one like an experimental animal cage, each one lined carefully in material, and each one with an approximately 1 year old baby inside. And most of the babies were lying there uttering an unearthly growl or mewling. Sam froze as a door on the opposite end of the room opened and Dean and Theo entered. They all looked at one another.

 

“Exorcise them.” Castiel ordered.

“This wasn’t the deal Cas, we were told that there would be spawn here. Not babies.”

“And what did you expect spawn to be, alien looking beings? Get with the program Sam and start exorcising.” Castiel ordered.

“And just what will happen to the ones we do exorcise?” Dean asked. “Will they be healed and go on to live successfully?”

Castiel looked around the room and grimaced, “Not likely, most obvious scenario is that they will die.”

“Cas there has to be another way.” Sam said torn.

Cas turned towards the first cage and struck the demon spewed out of the babies tiny mouth and then the infant lay still.

“They’re not even given a chance.” Dean said.

“Dean we don’t have time to discuss this in committee!” Castiel chided. Dean proceeds to salt the entrances to the room and is readying to use his knife. Then pockets it back into its scabbard as he called Castiel, while Sam and Theo are going around the room attempting to exorcise them.

“Back to back, we use a standard exorcism ritual, will that work?”

“Dean we don’t have time the rest of the group will know something is wrong by now.” Finally Sam just froze and stopped and then sat on the floor sobbing. Castiel went over and yanked at him.

“We’ve got work to do, you’ve got a job you swore to see done, now do it.”

Sam stayed his position taking the yanking from Castiel. Finally he looked at Dean, “We’ll have to act fast this is going to be messy to say the least.

They stood back to back. Dean said “On three?”

“Just do it Dean!”

Dean braced himself and in a loud voice started, “Exorcizo te, omnis spiritus immunde, in nomine Dei Patris omnipotentis, et in noimine Jesu Christi Filii ejus, Domini et Judicis nostri, et in virtute Spiritus Sancti, ut descedas ab hoc plasmate Dei, quod Dominus noster ad templum sanctum suum vocare dignatus est, ut fiat templum Dei vivi, et Spiritus Sanctus habitet in eo. Per eumdem Christum Dominum nostrum, qui venturus est judicare vivos et mortuos, et saeculum per ignem.” Immediately there were gouts of black smoke from the cages as one demon after another was exorcized. Then Dean took his knife went around to all the cribs and rammed it home, finally stopping after 30 of them to vomit on the floor. They heard a pounding on the doors.

“YOU’LL NEVER GET OUT OF THERE!” A male voice shouted. Then another howling tried to open the doors and found that though they could pull the doors open the salt prevented their entrance.

“Dean to Theo, I’ll take Sam.” Castiel said disgustedly. They followed true and in a blink vanished only to reappear six blocks away.

Sam was together now, but still distraught at the exorcisms of the 8 infants he accomplished. Castiel looked at Sam then slapped him soundly.

“What!” Dean said starting forward but was held in place by Theo.

“Don’t interfere. This is between Sam and Castiel.” Theo said.

“No, it is between Sam and me.” The somewhat homey looking gardener said stepping out from the shadows.

“Joshua.” Castiel said respectfully.

“Yes, the Father has ordered me to look into this. Sam and I are going on a little trip, oh don’t worry, I’ll bring him back safe as a baby in its mama’s arms.” Then Joshua turned to Sam and grabbed his wrist, “Come along Samuel we have something to discuss.” With that they were gone.

Dean looked around quickly then heard sirens in the distance and motioned toward the Impala that was parked a few feet away. They immediately boarded and were soon blocks away and headed toward their hotel.

 

“What’s Joshua going to do to Sam?” Theo asked concerned.

“Nothing that he hasn’t earned for his betrayal.” Castiel said harshly.

“What betrayal?” Dean asked. “All he did was exorcise those he could, then panicked. “

“That was the betrayal, he swore to me before God that he would be faithful to this job considering it was eliminating a major demon nest.” Castiel said glumly.

 

In another dimension Sam and Joshua walked the gardens of God and looked around at all the greenery. Finally Joshua sat him down on a bench and turned to him. “You know how to keep a garden healthy. You’ve got to be religious in weeding it and sometimes thinning it out. Those babies tonight were lost as they did not know of the concept of free will, born perfect in all respects they had no choice in the matter except to accept the spawn. You freed 8 tiny souls to heaven, Dean, Theo and Castiel 42 souls. Then you froze on a job you swore before God and his angels you would do.”

“Nobody told me babies were involved. I can’t help it if I got a thing against killing babies. Sue me.” Sam said harshly.

Joshua actually laughed rocking back and forth slightly. He then stopped both the laughter and the rocking and turned a stern gaze on Sam. “You might think you’re being funny, but actually you flunked your test. God periodically tests His children to make sure that they are strong enough for the battles ahead, His messengers on earth and His angels.” Joshua sighed now and looked distraught for a moment, he appeared lost in thought then turned to Sam.

“I’m sorry boy, I really am, but I gotta take this for now.” With that he reached out a hand and Sam arched where he sat as a small glowing ball exited his chest. “Don’t worry, in my garden all things grow, even grace. You gotta learn now how much this growing costs.”

 

“Isn’t there another way?” Sam asked settling back down.

“No, you’ve failed My test and I am a hard taskmaster some times.” Sam spun at the sound of the voice and saw that the garden’s owner had entered the picture. Wearing a natty overcoat and suit with a face made for smiling, and hair in a shock of standing spikes and curls.

“Father?” Joshua said rising slowly. God motioned him back to his place.

“You’ve disobeyed me Sam, you’ve betrayed your brother a little over 5 years ago and you betray me now. You will have to spend some time in your own penance and earn your grace back. You will be set with some hard trials and you might succeed, but I will have no flawed vessels.”

“All humans have flaws.” Sam debated.

God raised an eyebrow and smiled. “True, but when the flaw involves the kind of grace you were blessed with I tend to take personal interest. Don’t worry during your time of trial nothing will happen to you that will kill you. You will be forced to live and you will earn your way back to My grace to retain your grace. But you will learn.” With that God was gone.

Joshua sat there looking at Sam sadly. “Now it’s time for you to go and remember.” With that he touched Sam’s forehead and Sam found himself sitting on a hotel bed askew from Theo who jumped up shocked. Dean looked at him quickly. Castiel looked at him pityingly.

 

“I’m sorry I let you down Cas. I let all of you down and I’m sorry.” Sam said quietly.

Theo reached out and touched Sam caressing his hair and then paused. “The Father has touched you.”

“What!” Castiel said now interested he walked over to Sam and touched him as well.

“Would you mind terribly telling me what you are doing with my brother?” Dean said coolly.

Castiel reached out and touched Sam’s shoulder then knelt down and gave him a rough hug. Dean was really confused now and Sam looked bereft. Castiel turned and rose and looked at Dean.

“You would say that his mojo has been taken. We say that he’s lost his grace.” Castiel told him.

“Okay, is this a permanent thing or temporary?” Dean asked.

Sam looked up at his brother the pain of his actions visible on his face. “Temporary, I have to earn my way back. God pointed out that first I betrayed you and now I’ve betrayed him.” Sam shrugged, “I can live without the mojo it just made the cases a lot easier with it.”

“You don’t understand Sam, we’ve got to get back to the salvage yard and fast. “ Castiel said concerned.

“And why is that?” Sam asked.

“You ‘re going to go through a withdrawal period, it won’t be as bad as when you were drinking the demon blood, but it will be painful nonetheless.”

 

They piled in the Impala and Dean stomped the gas to try to beat the withdrawal symptoms. Theo was sitting in the shotgun seat with Sam and Castiel in the back seat. Sam paid little if no attention to the scenery they passed, his mind awash with guilt and the faint sensation of loss. He started the tremors just outside of the stateline between Wyoming and South Dakota, his leg started jumping and he initially attributed it to nerves. Until the twitching and jumping became uncontrollable.

 

Castiel whipped off his belt just in case and was not disappointed when about 5 more miles distant Sam went into a full blown seizure. Castiel pinned him down and showed the belt between his teeth. Then seeing that he had no free hand touched his forehead to Sam’s and for the briefest moment there was a flash of light then Sam was just laying there snoring.