Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Fandoms:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Sinful Desire
Stats:
Published:
2009-10-01
Completed:
2010-01-31
Words:
27,540
Chapters:
9/9
Comments:
3
Kudos:
57
Bookmarks:
15
Hits:
1,344

A Little Rose Is All It Takes

Summary:

Challenge by Halliwitch* After the movie 'A Marriage of Convenience'.

When Megan Padalecki dies she leaves the care of her nine year old daughter in the hands of her big brother.
Jared loves his niece and would do anything for her so when he finds a letter adressed to her biological father he posts it, not realising the consequences it could have.

One Day Jensen Ackles, a filthy rich busines man, shows up on their doorstep to claim his daughter but Jared is not willing to let her go. Jensen won't leave without her so there is only one thing to do... they get married and that is when it all begins.

Jensen has a reputation, class, manners and all the money in the world, Jared has honor, love and the most ridiculously wide smile Jensen has ever seen. What will happen when they are forced to put those two personalities in the same house.... and let's not forget a determined little nine year old who has plans of her own.

Notes:

Note from the Sinful Desire archivists: this story was originally archived at Sinful-Desire.org. To preserve the archive, we began importing its works to the AO3 as an Open Doors-approved project in November 2016. We e-mailed all creators about the move and posted announcements, but may not have reached everyone. If you are (or know) this creator, please contact us using the e-mail address on Sinful Desire collection profile.

Author's notes: I read halliwitch's challenge and fell in love with it. I really liked this idea so I have decided to take up the challenge and see what I can do with it.

Chapter 1: Chapter 1

Chapter Text


Author's notes: The beginning of a new story, oh how I love that ;P.
I hope you guys like it.


Chapter 1:

 

 

The door closed with a resounding ‘click’ after the last person left the house, the table in the hallway was covered in large oven dishes holding various casseroles as a sign of his neighbor’s sympathies.

 

The house was eerily quiet after the bustling activity of the people who were all there to say goodbye to Megan with him and Rosaly.

 

It was starting to get dark and their house was cast in shadows as he walked back into the living room, his house now, since Megan had left her half of the house to him in her will.

 

Jared sat down on the leather sofa and stared at the leftovers from the snacks they had served to feed the people that had accompanied him and Rosaly to the funeral, god Rosaly.

 

His heart ached and he felt his eyes sting with tears at the thought of the little girl, to lose your mother at such and age he couldn’t fathom how she felt.

 

He felt a wet tear track down his cheek and he raised his hand to swipe agitatedly at the moisture on his face “shit” he muttered, he had no idea how he was going to take care of a nine year old girl all by himself.

 

Megan had gotten pregnant when she was still a teenager, she had been wild and rambunctious in her teens, not caring that her actions had dire consequences until the day came when she took a home pregnancy test and the little strip turned blue.

 

But she was a strong willed and determined girl and she had refused to give the baby up, convinced that it wasn’t the babies fault that she had been irresponsible and that the baby she had in her belly was gonna be loved and know that he or she was not a mistake, that he or she was wanted.

 

That was the day their parents kicked a seventeen year old Megan out of their house, their parents being god-fearing folk who didn’t want the shame of a pregnant teenage daughter hanging over their head.

 

It was a repeat of three years ago when their parents had kicked Jared out of their house, they had been livid when they had found out that Jared was gay and that he wasn’t planning on living a lie or changing who he was.

 

So she was kicked out of their home and she ran to the only person she knew would love her unconditionally, her older brother.

 

To kindred souls in the same boat, knowing they could rely on no one but each other and Jared had opened his door his house and his heart for her and later for her baby.

 

Jared had taken in his distraught sister, listening to her story and what their parents had done to her.

 

He had told her that she could live with him, that he would be delighted and honored to have her and her baby in his house.

 

That had been the start of their iron bond, from that day on they were inseparable and even though Jared knew that his private and love life was none existent because he had a little sister to provide for didn’t stop him from giving her all the love her had.

 

Until that wonderful day in October, the day that turned two into three and lit up their house like a rainbow.

 

Jared could still remember the first time he held Rosaly in his arms, the first time the baby opened her eyes and gazed at her with emerald eyes and gave him a toothless smile.

 

He had been hooked ever since, he had been there for the birth and had held Megan’s hand when she had cried out in pain and cursed every man walking the earth for putting women though such agony.

 

He had watched his baby sister scream and curse until the wriggling little bundle had been placed in her arms and the screaming and cursing turned into tears of joy and soft spoken words for the small miracle in her grasp.

 

She was the person he admired most, she had turned her life around and finished her school at home while she took care of her baby.

 

Megan had gone out and gotten herself a nightshift job at a small hotel so she could look after Rosaly during the day and Jared looked after her during the night because she refused to let her daughter be raised by a nanny.

 

She worked her ass off and together they had saved up so they could move from the dingy apartment to a small but cozy house because she wanted a garden for Rosaly to play in.

 

Everything she did was to make her daughter’s life better, every step she took was to pave the way for the small girl.

 

For nine years they had been perfectly happy, for nine long years their house was filled with love and joy and sunshine until last week.

 

It had been so late at night that it was almost early in the morning and Megan had been on her way home in their car.

 

On the other end of town there was a man who had just found out that his wife had been cheating on him, the man had been livid and heartbroken so he decided to go to the bar and drown his sorrows in alcohol.

 

That night a drunk man got behind the wheel of his car, that night Megan had to take a different route home since there were constructions going, that night fate took a wrong turn … and so did the drunk man, a wrong turn that brought his suv into a head on collision with Megan’s tiny Toyota.

 

Jared had been raised in a very religious house hold, he had been taught that God was all that was good and that everything happened for a reason.

 

He didn’t waiver from his faith when he found out he was gay, he didn’t waiver when his parents kicked him out or three years later when they did the same to his sister.

 

The day the San Antonio hospital called him early in the morning with an ‘I’m very sorry Sir’ was the day Jared lost his faith in God.

 

People told him to be strong, that He had a plan and that all would be well, that He would take care of them and that Jared should just wait and he’d see.

 

But Jared did see, he saw a nine year old girl who would never see her mother again, he saw the empty rocking chair he bought for Meg when she just had Rosaly because the baby liked movement.

 

All he did was see and everything he saw made him hate the world just that much more, he couldn’t and wouldn’t believe that this was God’s plan because in all the stories he read God was good and forgiving and merciful.

 

Taking the mother of a little girl away like that, taking one of the two most important people in his life away like that, Jared figured god either didn’t exist or her was a selfish bastard for taking Meg away from them.

 

He stood up from the sofa and slowly made his way up the staircase, bending down occasionally to pick up stray toys.

 

Jared reached the top of the stairs and he looked around the hallway his eyes coming to rest on the door on the right, a door that was painted a bright pink with a large red rose in the middle.

 

The door was slightly ajar and he pushed it open further to glance inside, there was a pink nightlight in the shape of a Hippo on the gold colored nightstand and it cast the room in a soft glow as he moved closer to the bed.

 

He kneeled down by the bed and reached out to brush a dark strand of hair away from the fair face smattered with more freckles than he could count, he always teased her with her freckles and he told her every time she’d giggle she’d get another one.

 

This naturally made her giggle none the less and he’d shower her face with kisses, one for each freckle, he’d claim.

 

The dots were barely noticeable in the dim light but he knew they were there, he knew just as sure as he knew the sun would rise the next day to give her more and more.

 

He brushed his fingers across the delicately pale skin of her cheek and smoothed the small frown from her brow “I’m so sorry” he whispered into the still evening “but I promise you that I’ll never leave you… I’ll keep you safe”.

 

And this was a promise he would keep, he’d die before he’d break that one and hurt the most important person in his life.

 

“Do you even know how important you are, little Rose” he muttered and pulled the blanket higher up her tiny frame “I could never replace your mother, but I swear I’ll give you everything you’ll ever need”.

 

A soft sigh left pink lips and she twisted in her sleep “sleep tight” and he raised himself up on his feet.

 

He closed the door behind him and walked across the hall to Megan’s room, the door was open and he flicked on the light bathing the room so he could see better.

 

It took three steps and he was sitting on the bed with his sister’s pillow in his hands, his fingers brushed the fabric and he brought the pillow to his face to smell her lingering scent.

 

Pink, it seemed to be the theme of the house, Megan had loved the color and inadvertedly infected Rosaly with the same love of the girly hue.

 

He loved pink, it was the most beautiful color in the world, the color of love and family, the color of safety and home.

 

His eyes caught sight of a box next to Megan’s night stand and he picked it up off the floor to open it, inside he found pictures of them growing up and of Rosaly growing up, her birth certificate and the cards she had gotten when the baby had been born.

 

He clenched his fingers on the pink pacifier in the box, the one he had gotten for her as a gift and tears slid down his cheeks “fuck, Meg” he gasped into the silent room “why’d you go, huh… why’d you leave us?”.

 

The pacifier was placed back into the box and he lifted out a white envelope, the paper was addressed and stamped, ready to go and find the person it was meant for.

 

Carefully he opened the flap that had not been sealed shut but simply had been tucked into the envelope, it was a letter, a letter addressed to a man named Jensen Ackles.

 

He unfolded the letter as his curiosity got the best of him.

 

 

Dear Jensen,

 

 

I have no idea if you remember me but my name is Megan and we met 2 years ago at a party, I wore a pink dress and you were wearing a green button and jeans.

That night we both got drunk and we ended up having sex in a garage against a Chevy, right a bell?

 

That night was supposed to be the end of us, it is the end of us… but it was also the beginning of something else.

5 weeks after our night together I found out that I was pregnant and I know without a doubt that the baby is yours.

 

I’ve already given birth and I felt you deserved to know that you have a child… you have a beautiful baby girl and her name is Rosaly Jasmine Padalecki. You told me your middle name was Ross and I wanted my baby to have something of her father… this is why I named her after you.

 

I assume you have a very busy life and I don’t even know if you have time for a child but know that if you are ever in San Antonio you are more than welcome to come by and meet her.

 

She is beautiful Jensen, she has your eyes and freckles and the richest brown hair you’ve ever seen. She’s soft and small and the best baby in the world… she deserves to know her father.

I’m living with my brother now and he takes good care of us. I am the only one who knows that you are her father so if you decide to ignore this letter I would understand but I know that once you’ve seen her you will fall in love with her.

 

Even though you didn’t know, you gave me the best present a girl could ever get and for this I will be eternally grateful to you. Thank you from the bottom of my heart and I wish you all the love and luck in the world.

 

 

With loving thanks,

Megan Padalecki

 

 

Jared’s eyes had widened to the size of saucers as he read the letter baffled that all this time Megan had know who Rosaly’s father was.

 

He marched down the stairs and grabbed a pen and paper to write his own little note.

 

 

Mr. Ackles,

 

 

I found this letter amongst my sister’s possessions and I felt you had the right to know.

 

This all happened seven years ago and your daughter is now nine years old.

I am sorry to inform you that Megan, my sister, passed away last week, maybe you’ll find yourself in the vicinity of San Antonio and have the time to visit us.

 

Our address is included with the letter.

 

 

Kind regards,

Jared Padalecki

 

He added his note to Megan’s letter and placed it on the table next to the door before he went to bed.

 

The next morning during the walk to school Jared slipped the letter into the mailbox while he held on to Rosaly’s hand, not thinking or realizing the consequences that his actions would set in motion.