Actions

Work Header

Pandemonia

Summary:

This story takes place immediately after season 2 finale. Sam and Dean follow the demonic swarm to a small city trying to convince the mayor to evacuate, but they end up in serious trouble with the demons and the law. Part one of The Missing Episodes of Season 3-series.

Notes:

Note from the Sinful Desire archivists: this story was originally archived at Sinful-Desire.org. To preserve the archive, we began importing its works to the AO3 as an Open Doors-approved project in November 2016. We e-mailed all creators about the move and posted announcements, but may not have reached everyone. If you are (or know) this creator, please contact us using the e-mail address on Sinful Desire collection profile.

Author's notes: This is an AU-story replacing the first two episodes of season 3 and then connecting to "Bad Day at Black Rock" in the last scene. I'm also introducing Ruby in my own way.

Chapter 1: Chapter 1 Demon City Part 1

Chapter Text

ANGEL FALLS, SOUTH DAKOTA

 

It was early evening. The streets were empty and a thunderstorm was rumbling far away. Inside the houses people were finishing dinner or watching TV. Scant few of them noticed the very special dark cloud that came with the thunderstorm as it was approaching the small town.

 

Then the whole sky was black. Lightning shone over the dark streets. The ominous cloud that came with the thunderstorm divided into several black pillars of smoke that flew like comets above the dark city-streets. The smoke crossed between the heavy lightning, winding between the bolts like loosed snakes. One black pillar aimed for the ventilation-shaft of a small house.

 

Inside the house, an older woman with white hair was standing by the stove preparing dinner.

 

That’s strange,” she said to herself. ”Awfully lot of smoke in the kitchen. Is something on fire?” She looked everywhere but couldn’t see anything indicating that. ”Meat-stew doesn't usually smoke like this.”

 

Then she noticed that the heaviest smoke was circling the ceiling. She had never seen smoke act like this before. Then the smoke formed a black pillar that came against her like it had a life of it’s own. It came right at her. She screamed and the smoke flew right into her mouth.

 

A couple of minutes later her husband entered the house. He was a large man with a just as large mustache. He was wearing a sheriff-uniform

 

”What a terrible weather,” he said. Removing a belt with a gun. ”I have never seen a thunderstorm like it. Mmmm. It smells good.”

 

”We are having meat-stew. Done in a second, chief.”

 

”Edna, darling. I love when you’re calling me chief. I may be the sheriff of this town but my subordinates always call me Mr. Wheezer.”

 

Edna Wheezer chuckled. Her husband who was sitting down by the dining table couldn’t see her black eyes while she stood by the stove shoveling stew on a plate. She took off her apron and put the plate on the table. Sheriff Larry Wheezer stuffed his face without even looking at his wife.

 

”Mmmmm, Best meat-stew ever.” He didn’t notice his wife going to the door and picking up his gun.

 

”Nice gun,” Edna said, looking at the piece very thoroughly.

 

”I thought you hated firearms,” Larry said, looking up from the stew.

 

”But this is a beautiful piece of weapon. I have never noticed that before.”

 

”Edna, would you please put that down and sit down and eat.”

 

”It’s so shiny and powerful. I wonder how it works,” she said and loaded the gun.

 

”No, honey. Don’t do that. It is dangerous.” Sheriff Wheezer looked at her with fear in his eyes. She looked at him too. Then his gaze met her demonic black eyes. He gasped in panic when he saw her eyes.

 

”I hope you enjoyed the stew. Because it was your last meal,” she said, aiming the gun and pulling the trigger. The bullet hit her husband straight through his heart. He was dead before his head fell into the delectable meat-stew.

 

***************************************************************************

 

Dean looked Sam deep in his eyes.

 

”Sammy, I love you.” Dean had tears in his eyes. The shady motel-room they were sitting in seemed to dissipate and in Dean’s mind nothing but Sam existed in this moment.

 

”Dean,” Sam said. He looked so tormented.

 

”It is true, Sammy. I’ve loved you forever, but I could never tell you this, until now at the…end. I couldn’t go without letting you know how deeply I love you.”

 

”Dean,” Sam cried. ”Why didn’t you tell me before?”

 

”You know why. Because it’s sick, you’re my little brother and I…”

 

”I love you too, Dean,” Sam said and kissed him. This was the most passionate kiss Dean had ever known. Their tongues met. And they didn’t ever want to let go, but they had to, and they knew exactly why.

 

”Now, I can at least die happy,” Dean said and tried to smile.

 

”Don’t do this to me now. I won’t let you go. I will never let go of you,” Sam said and hugged Dean while tears were running from his eyes.

 

”You have to,” Dean said. ”It’s too late.”

 

”I’m so sorry I couldn’t save you,” Sam said and kissed Dean again, just as passionate as before. Then the clock turned midnight. Dean broke the kiss and he heard the howling at a distance. It was time. The hellhound would come any second now and tear his body to shreds.

 

Sam could see the look of fear in Dean’s face. He hugged him again and he felt his brother tremble with fear.

 

Then the howling grew nearer…

 

***************************************************************************

 

…Dean woke up in his bed.

 

”Good morning,” Sam said lifting his eye from his laptop as he threw a look towards Dean.

 

”Somewhere in the world I’m sure it is,” Dean said looking at their surroundings.

 

Waking up in a new room every morning was something he never thought he’d get used to, and in the first second not knowing where he was. But waking up usually also meant laying his eyes on Sam as the first thing he did. It was in moments like these he thanked God that he had Sam by his side.

 

”Nightmare?”

 

”I don’t have nightmares,” Dean said.

 

”Really? Because…”

 

”Let’s just drop it, okay? What time is it?” Dean asked.

 

”10 am.”

 

”Ten? You let me sleep until ten?”

 

”You looked like you could use it, considering…”

 

”Considering that I have only 362 days left of my life. Well, maybe it is not such a bad thing knowing exactly in what second you will die. It can be quite an advantage, planning ahead.”

 

”Dean, you haven’t planned anything in your entire life.”

 

“True, but…”

 

“And you won’t kick the bucket, cause I won’t let you. I promised you that I’ll save you, and I intend to do just that.”

 

”Is that what you’re doing?” Dean asked. ”How long have you been sitting there?”

 

”Since five, I couldn’t sleep. I have to start digging, you know.”

 

”Maybe you should follow your own advice, and get some rest. You can’t save me if you’re too exhausted to do it.”

 

”Well now when you’re awake why don’t you get up, we should get going.”

 

”Nah, I’m good,” Dean said still laying in bed. He had this enormous boner that was obviously triggered by that erotic kiss he had with Sam in his dream. And he sure as hell wouldn’t let Sam see his current state of arousal.

 

”Really, then what the hell are you complaining about?”

 

”Well the bed's just comfy that’s all,” Dean said and he knew that he couldn’t stay in bed much longer. For some reason having this conversation with his brother only seemed to make him even harder.

 

Dean took away the cover and raised from the bed and with firm steps he went to the bathroom and the waiting shower, and he prayed that Sam didn’t see that his boxers looked like a tent.

 

Sam peeked at him and tried to muffle his laugh, he looked down at the screen again, but in the last second before Dean disappeared into the bathroom Sam threw a quick glance at Dean’s ass. He never seemed able to resist that.

 

20 minutes later Dean emerged from the bathroom dripping wet with a towel around his waist.

 

”Are you still sitting there?” Dean said. ”What’s so interesting?”

 

”I haven’t found a way out of your deal but I think I have a case for us.”

 

”Tell me?” Dean said and removed the towel. Sam tried not to look but he glanced anyway and hoped that Dean didn’t notice.

 

”I…um…” Sam said, watching Dean bending over to pick up his clothes.

 

”That didn’t make sense. Try again.”

 

”Um,” Sam said and blushed, watching Dean getting dressed.

 

”Forget about the case,” Sam said. ”What do you want to do? As you said, you only have 362 days left. Is there anything you want to do, or somewhere you want to go? Just name it. I’ll make it happen.”

 

The first thing that entered Dean’s mind was something he could never ask for. It would make Sam leave him, actually it would make him run away screaming. You are not supposed to have those kinds of feelings for your own brother. Besides that the only thing he wished for was that he had more time left. That he didn’t have a death-sentence hanging over him.

 

”I don’t want to die, Sammy, but I have very little choice in that matter. But since that's the case I could at least try to save as many people as possible. That’s the legacy I want to leave behind. I don’t want to waste my time laying on some beach somewhere.”

 

”Dean. I promise you, I will save you somehow. And when I’m done I will so make you lie on that beach.”

 

”If I ever get out of this mess. Let’s not do that. I don’t do shorts anyway. What’s the case about?”

 

”I think I have managed to track down the demonic swarm that got out from the devil’s gate or at least a part of the swarm.”

 

”Really? Way to go, Sammy.”

 

”They are in Angel Falls, South Dakota.”

 

”Angel Falls? Those bastards obviously have a sense of humor. What makes you think that they are there?”

 

”There have been some strange murders, and it all happened the same night. All the victims had positions of great importance to society, like the DA, the sheriff, the Judge and the chief of the fire department. Tonight a doctor was killed. And all the signs indicate that they have been murdered by their next of kin.”

 

”That could be anything,” Dean said. ”How do we know that demons are behind this?”

 

”One of the victims where Sheriff Larry Wheezer. A neighbor saw his wife Edna walking out of the house just after the police estimated the murder took place. The neighbor claims that Edna’s eyes where black.”

 

”I’ll be damned,” Dean said. ”Maybe they are trying to take over the town by killing key-people that are important to society.”

 

”But why?” Sam asked.

 

”They need a base to operate from? A jumping point? I don’t know, Sammy. Either way we should go there, find a way to stop them.”

 

”How are we gonna do that if the whole town is crawling with demons?”

 

”I don’t know. But maybe the best way of saving people is to try to evacuate the people that are left. We should go there talk to the mayor, try to convince him to evacuate the town. Unless he's already dead or has become one of them.”

 

”The mayor seems to be alive, at least for the time being. There is a statement from her in the article.”

 

”Her?”

 

”Yes, It’s a woman, and her name is Catherine Green.”

 

 

***************************************************************************

 

 

”Miss Green? Two gentlemen from the FBI are here to see you,” a voice said on Catherine Greens speakerphone.

 

Catherine Green, the mayor of Angel Falls, pushed a button and said: ”I didn’t expect FBI until the day after tomorrow, but you can send them in.”

 

Sam and Dean entered the mayor’s office dressed in the fanciest suits they were able to find. Behind the desk with the American flag next to it was a woman sitting. She was a good-looking woman about 40 years old, with brown hair to her shoulders. She had a face that was radiating trustworthiness. No wonder that the people in this town had voted for her, Dean thought. She even radiated respect and prominence.

 

”Special agents Sikes and Francisco, FBI,” Dean said, showing his badge so fast that it was impossible to read.

 

”I was expecting you,” Catherine said.

 

”Really?” Dean said. ”I mean, yes, we’re here now.”

 

”I was expecting you first at the day after tomorrow.”

 

”This case has become our top priority. And you also know why we’re here.”

 

”Of course. The murders. I’m really glad you’re here. The deputy sheriff is working on these cases, maybe you should go talk to him. I’m not sure if I’m the right person to be able to help you.”

 

”But you are.” Sam said. ”We really need to talk to you.” Sam looked a bit nervous taking out a small bottle and a cup from his pocket and pouring some holy water into the cup. ”Excuse my manners,” Sam said. ”I get so extremely thirsty sometimes,” he chuckled.

 

He took a sip and then put the glass on the table.

 

”We have a very strong lead on what caused those murders,” Dean said.

 

”Since they were all relatives to the victims, the police suspect that they may have been drugged,” Catherine said. ”Or maybe someone might have slipped something in the water system, causing model citizens behave like this. At least that’s what the deputy thinks.”

 

”That’s a good theory,” Dean said. ”But he is extremely off base. Because we have dealt with this before. And this information we are about to share with you is completely classified. We are here to stop this from happening to others, and you are the only one who can help us and save the people in your town.”

 

”What can I do?” Catherine said. Then Sam accidentally - that was what it was supposed to look like - tipped the cup over with holy water. The water ran over the desk down into the mayor’s lap. ”Damn it,” she said. Sam and Dean looked very tentative expecting any second hearing a sizzling sound and see some smoke, but nothing happened and they seemed to relax.

 

”I’m so sorry,” Sam said. “It is just water. It will dry out soon.” He grabbed a napkin trying to dry her desk, while the mayor herself took a couple of napkins and tried to dry the wet stains on her lap.

 

”Try to be more careful,” she said. She once again turned to Dean and said.

 

”If I understand you right, you can stop this person who is making my citizens into murderers.”

 

”Actually. What we are dealing with is not a person or persons. It’s something else.”

 

”What? You are being very vague. I don't have a lot of time for riddles, gentlemen. What is it? It is a disease?”

 

”No,” Dean said. ”Have you ever heard of the X-files?”

 

”It’s a TV-show.”

 

”No. I’m afraid it is much more than a TV-show,” Dean said. ”That unit is real. We are the agents assigned those cases.”

 

”Are you expecting me to believe that aliens are behind this?”

 

”No,” Dean said. ”It is not like we are hunting an alien all over the nation, because there is no such thing. This is much worse.”

 

”I’m afraid that there is no way to sugarcoat this,” Sam said. ”We are talking about demons.”

 

”Demons? You’ve got to be joking.”

 

”We are deadly serious,” Dean said looking her straight in the eyes.

 

”Do you have any proof?”

 

Sam and Dean looked at each other very seriously.

 

”I didn’t think so.” Catherine said. ”Get out of my office.”

 

”Listen lady,” Dean said. ”Do you think we have come here if we weren’t sure. You wanted proof. Fine. I guess you have seen this article. The neighbor of the weasels, I mean Wheezers said that she saw Mrs. Wheezer’s eyes, and they were black. That’s proof of demonic possession.”

 

”What do you want from me?”

 

”I’m afraid that this city is beyond salvation and so are the people who’ve already been possessed", Dean said. ”We are here because we try to save lives. And if you want to do that too, and save yourself in the process, you’d better listen to us. We need to evacuate this city. That’s the only way. It is very unlikely that we will be able to stop them since they have us outnumbered.”

 

”Let’s just say, for the sake of argument, that the two of you are not crazy. If I go to the deputy sheriff with this story he will think that I am insane. I’ll be a laughing-stock”

 

”If you don’t do what we say, there won’t be a town or any people to worry about anymore for that matter.” Sam said.

 

”But I can’t do that. I have a daughter. She…”

 

”If you don’t want to save yourself or the people of this town, than at least do this for you daughter”, Sam said. ”By the way, I’m sorry about the holy-water, but we had to make sure that you weren’t possessed.”

 

”Sam’s right,” Dean said. ”We need a course of action, right away.”

 

”I’m not sure I got your first name,” Catherine said.

 

”Dean.”

 

”And you’re Sam?”

 

Sam nodded.

 

”As in Sam Francisco?”

 

Sam glared at Dean with a gaze that said ‘I’m gonna get you for this.’

 

”My mother was very fond of that city,” Sam said grumpy and gave Dean another poisonous stare.

 

”You are not FBI. Who the hell are you? I want an explanation and then I might not have you arrested.”

 

”No. We’re not FBI,” Sam said. ”But we know what we’re talking about and you are all in danger. What we told you was true.”

 

”Get out!”

 

”Please just listen,” Dean said. ”If you don’t believe us, fine, but if you want to save yourself and your daughter just please hear me out. Get out of here and take these.” Dean pulled up a bag of salt, a toy gun and an amulet.

 

”Are you out of your mind?”

 

”I’m trying to save your life here. Put the amulet around your neck. It will protect you from demonic possessions. Put lines of salt in front of every door and window. Demons can’t cross a salt line. That toy is loaded with holy water. It could save your life. Take them and your daughter and leave town as fast as you can. I’m begging you here, please. Here’s our phone numbers. Call us if you change your mind”

 

She looked at the note he gave her.

 

”Sam and Dean Winchester?”

 

”Yeah, we are brothers,” Dean said.

 

”Alright, maybe you believe what you're saying. There's a chance that...since everything that makes sense is out of the equation, I have to accept something crazy as being true. I don't know. I have to think about it. I won’t have you arrested but I want you out of my office, now!”

 

 

***************************************************************************

 

 

Half an hour later Sam and Dean entered ”Momma’s diner.” It was a typical dive that the Winchester-brothers had seen so many times before. It was quite crowded with people and there was an intense smell of fried chicken in the air. They walked through the diner looking for a booth that wasn’t occupied. Sam noticed a girl, maybe 20 years old, looking at him very intensely. She had long blonde hair.

 

Their eyes met and she looked away, and Sam didn’t think anymore of it for now. They found a place in the back of the diner. It didn’t take a minute until a large woman with red hair was by their table prepared to take their orders.

 

”Let me guess. You’re ‘Momma’?” Dean said.

 

”That’s right,” Momma said. ”This is my place. You boys are not from town are you?”

 

”How can you tell?” Dean asked.

 

”Well, I would have remembered your cute faces if I had seen you before. This is a small town,” she said and batted her eyelashes. ”How about our special?”

 

”Which is?” Dean asked.

 

”Fried chicken.”

 

”Sounds good. I’ll have that, and a soda. What about you, Sammy?”

 

”I’ll have the same.”

 

”Coming right up, babe,” Momma said and disappeared into the kitchen.

 

”Well. That went crappy,” Dean said.

 

”What? Your flirting with ‘Momma’?” Sam giggled.

 

”Heh heh. That was funny. No our meeting with the mayor.”

 

”I don’t know what else we can do,” Sam said. ”Two strangers pretending to be FBI talking about demons. She’d be crazy if she’d believed us. But that ‘Alien Nation’ stunt you pulled didn’t help either.”

 

”Sorry!” Dean laughed. ”You should’ve seen your face when she called you Sam Francisco.” Dean laughed so hard that he had tears in his eyes.

 

”What can we do now?” Sam said.

 

”If this town is crawling with demons we don’t stand a chance,” Dean said.

 

”So far we haven’t seen any indication of that, maybe we should stay a couple of days,” Sam said.

 

Momma showed up with two portions of fried chicken and fried potatoes on the side and two large glasses of soda.

 

”Here you go, Sammy-boy,” she said and gave Sam his portion.

 

”It’s Sam. He is the only one that can call me that.”

 

”That’s cute. You sure are a cute couple,” she said and walked away.

 

”Not again,” Dean said and took a bite of the fried chicken.

 

”Mmmm. This is the best fried chicken ever.” Dean said, almost making orgasmic sounds.

 

”By the way, who are you looking at, dude?” Dean said with his mouth full of fried chicken.

 

The blonde girl further down the diner kept throwing glances at Sam. Dean turned around and noticed the girl.

 

”She is a pretty girl. You do have a thing for blondes don’t you?”

 

”There is something else about her. I just had a feeling. Somehow she is giving me the creeps.”

 

”A hot girl is staring at you, bro, and she is giving you the creeps? No wonder you're single.”

 

”Last time a girl like that showed an interest in me she tried to send daevas on our asses.”

 

”Oh yeah. Good point. Do you think she’s a demon?”

 

”Don’t know. Let’s just drop it.”

 

They finished their meals in silence, but Sam felt very uneasy with the girl staring at him.

 

”God. I’m full,” Dean said. ”Maybe a little too full. I’d better hit the can before we leave,” Dean said smirking, heading to the restroom. While Dean was in there, Sam noticed that the mysterious blonde girl left the diner. When Dean ten minutes later came out from the restroom, he passed the kitchen. He threw a glance through the small window in the door.

 

He could see the staff working and he was stunned when he noticed that every one of them, as far as he could tell, seemed to have black eyes. He felt the panic rise and ran back to Sam.

 

”We’ve got to get out or here, now,” He whispered to Sam. ”Be prepared with the holy water.”

 

”Dean, what’s going on?” Sam asked taking out the small bottle from the pocket in his jacket. Dean did the same. Just when they were about to leave, Momma stood in front of them blocking the doorway with her large body.

 

”Are you leaving so soon? Don’t you want dessert? Since this was your last meal,” She said while her eyes turned black.

 

Sam squirted holy water right in her face. There was this familiar sizzling sound and she screamed in pain. A large man with a towering chef-hat emerged from the kitchen with a big meat-ax in his hands. He was about to plunge it into Sam’s back when Dean squirted holy water right into the chef’s eyes. He screamed and dropped the ax. He rubbed his eyes with both hands while Sam and Dean ran and left the place as fast as they could.

 

 

***************************************************************************

 

 

At the elementary school of Angel Falls the nine-year-old daughter of mayor Green was sitting in a classroom. She looked like her mother in many ways and just like her mother she had brown hair to her shoulders. Her teacher Mr. Carver was returning a test to her.

 

”Now, Alison. I have warned you before. If your grammar doesn’t improve I have to send you to hell, um…I mean the principal’s office.” Alison looked up and met her teacher’s eyes, and they were demonic black. She gasped when she saw his phony smile and she could see her own reflection in his obsidian eyes.

 

”Take this note and report to Principal Edlund immediately.” She took the note in her little hand and ran out of the classroom as fast as she could. She knew instinctively that somehow her teacher had turned into a monster and she was happy that she had been able to get away, but what would happen to her classmates?

 

A couple of minutes later she entered the administration office. She could see Principal Deborah Edlund through a window. She was talking on the phone. Then the principal turned her head and Alison could see that her eyes were just as black as Mr. Carver’s were.

 

She ran away as fast as she could and then she found herself at the schoolyard. There she laid her eyes on one of the schoolyard hostesses.

 

”Lily, Something is very wrong with the teachers,” Alison said gasping for air.

 

”Really,” Lily said and turned around. She looked at Alison with demonic black eyes and a devious smile on her face.

 

Alison gasped in shock and started to run, and kept running all the way home.

 

 

***************************************************************************

 

 

”Alison-honey. What’s wrong,” Catherine Green said when her terrified daughter ran into the hallway of her house.

 

”I just got a phone call from Principal Edlund. You were supposed to report to the office, but you never showed up.”

 

Mom!…The…Tt…t..t…teachers…,” she said between sobs.

 

Catherine looked at her daughter in despair.

 

”What? Tell me, please!”

 

”They tried to…hurt…me. They wanted to. I know they did. Their eyes were black. Mom, you’ve got to believe me.”

 

Catherine hugged her daughter who cried in her arms.

 

”Please. Don’t make me go back there.”

 

”I won’t. I promise.”

 

It had taken the entire afternoon for Catherine calming her terrified daughter. Later that night when Alison had fallen asleep, Catherine sat alone on her couch. She was thinking of all the outrageous things she had heard today. But her daughter's despair was very real. Alison was a well-behaved child not given to outbursts or flights of fancy.

 

Maybe the two guys today actually knew what they were talking about. But in next second she thought that she must be insane even considering accepting a story that involved demons. Nevertheless, she unpacked the bag of salt and the water gun with holy water and put them on the dining table. Just in case. She had a strange feeling that they might come in handy.

 

 

***************************************************************************

 

 

Dean and Sam were sitting in a room of the only motel in Angel Falls. They were pondering the events of today.

 

”We should leave immediately,” Dean said. ”We are on the top of their killing list and now they know we’re here.”

 

”I agree, but I’m exhausted. We can crash here tonight and leave town the first thing tomorrow morning,” Sam said removing his pants and shirt going straight to bed. As usual Dean admired Sam’s muscular body, but tried not to stare.

 

He took off his own clothes and went to bed. He loved moments like these, especially after a hard day like this one where they had fought for their lives. Now it was all quiet. He listened to Sam’s breath and he felt so content, having the man that he loved so close, even if he could never tell him the truth. It didn’t take long until he was asleep.

 

Sam was still wide-awake, listening to his brothers gentle snoring. Another day had passed. It meant that Dean had only 361 days left. He watched Dean’s face, and it was in moments like these he remembered so clearly that Dean was dying, and that the two of them would never have a happy ending. After another 361 days Dean would be gone and Sam would be all alone in the world.

 

He had been secretly in love with his brother in many years now, It was perverted and sick and he knew that he could never tell him. All he could do was to dream and fantasize what it would be like loving his brother. It had taken its toll on him before. He had ran away all the way to California and Stanford just to get away from those feelings, trying to forget about that irresistible brother of his, find a girl and lead a normal life.

 

He had succeeded quite well until the day Dean had shown up telling him that their dad was missing. In that moment, even though Jessica was present, all his desire and love for his brother was back. There had been so many times during their road trip when he’d almost spilled the beans. And there were times when he was convinced that Dean felt the same way about him, but in the next second he realized that he was fooling himself.

 

But when Dean had made that deal to bring Sam back from the dead, he was convinced that Dean wanted him and loved him as much as he loved Dean. Making that kind of sacrifice was the ultimate act of love.

 

In this moment he was so tempted to wake Dean, tell him how he felt and then kiss him forever and never let go. But he realized that loving Dean under these circumstances, with Dean having a death sentence hanging over him would destroy Sam too. He had promised to save Dean, and somehow he would find a way. He has to stay focused on that. And not get too emotionally involved, or else he wouldn’t make it.

 

And if he and Dean finally had consummated their relationship he would be way too emotionally involved to save Dean, so as usual he didn’t fall for the temptation. He was still thankful for every moment he was in Dean’s presence, and it would just have to do.

 

Sam heard thunder rumbling far away. It made him very uncomfortable. When he was a little boy, he had always been very scared of thunder. He remembered those moments. He remembered the way Dean had always cared for him, trying to keep him safe. During thunderstorms Dean had urged him to crawl into his bed and Dean had held Sam close to his own body and Sam had felt completely safe.

 

They had also been involved with a case where Sam had managed to annoy a pagan god and had been chased by lightning and then finally been struck by lightning. It was pure luck that he survived without permanent damages. He thought that, that incident would have cured his fear of thunder, but obviously it hadn’t. Another thing about thunder that scared the hell out of him was that thunder was in many cases a sign of a demon approaching. And he thought that most likely, more demons were probably on their way to this town to haunt it even more.

 

Sam rose from the bed, went over to the window to check the salt line. He kept standing by the window and looked for the approaching thunderstorm. Then he saw her again at a distance, the blonde girl staring at their window. He felt the goosebumps. Then he saw her walking away.

 

The thunder was approaching. A flash of lightning struck only a block away, causing Dean to wake up.

 

”Was that thunder?” Dean asked with a hoarse voice.

 

”Yeah,” Sam said with a trembling voice. Another lightning struck not far away. Sam was blinded by the light.

 

”Sammy, come here!” Dean said, patting his hand on the bed.

 

”No, I’m all right.”

 

”I know you, Sammy. You’re not all right. Just come here. It is no big deal.”

 

Sam went over to Dean’s bed and climbed in. Dean was hugging him. Sam felt his brother’s naked chest against his own. It was what he always had wished for, and it almost made him cry.

 

Dean knew that he had to do this for Sam, making him feel safe. He could never tell Sam how much it affected him, feeling Sam’s naked body against his own.

 

The storm was raging. It was very intense. Lightning lit up the room all the time and the two brothers clung to each other, pretending not to show the other one that this was much more than brotherly love.

 

 

***************************************************************************