Actions

Work Header

Just Two People Who Weren’t Meant To Fall In

Summary:

Based on the film THE PROPOSAL: Jared Padalecki has been working for the executive editor-in-chief at Colden’s Books, Jensen Ackles, for the last three years. He’s been working as Jensen’s assistant, despite all the difficulties, in hopes to becoming an editor himself...or even better, getting one of his novels published. But what happens when Jensen blackmails Jared into marrying him in order to stay in the country?

Notes:

Note from the Sinful Desire archivists: this story was originally archived at Sinful-Desire.org. To preserve the archive, we began importing its works to the AO3 as an Open Doors-approved project in November 2016. We e-mailed all creators about the move and posted announcements, but may not have reached everyone. If you are (or know) this creator, please contact us using the e-mail address on Sinful Desire collection profile.

Author's notes: This is a WIP, I hope to get a chapter out ever week. But since it’s a WIP, the ratings/warnings will change per chapter, as the story develops. The story is mainly comedy, same as the film, but there will be angst and hurt/comfort later.

Obviously I do not own the boys, or any other character in this fic...original or The Proposal based. This is all just for fun.

Chapter 1: Chapter 1

Chapter Text


Author's notes: No warnings for Chapter 1. This is a WIP so warnings will be updated per chapter if necessary.


CHAPTER ONE:

 

 

Jensen’s morning routine has been the same for years. Why change what works?

 

Wake up at 5am. Always.

 

Then a 30 minute work out on his bicycle, which is set up in front of his television that simulates that he’s on a nature trail. Which is kind of pointless considering he isn’t paying any attention to the scenery playing on his television. He’s too focused on the manuscript resting in front of the exercise machine.

 

Shower, food, clothes, all the basics. All while reading a new writer’s attempt at a best seller. Well...except for the shower of course. But if Jensen would find a way to read in the shower, he would multi-task then too. Because those few minutes cleaning isn’t as productive as it can be.

 

Once 7:30 rolls around, Jensen is out the door, ready for yet another hour and ten minute trek in New York traffic. Sure, he could move closer to the Colden Books office, but there is no way he’s giving up his apartment in Central Park West. Besides, the taxi ride to work is just another place to work. And today he has a phone call to make.

 

--

 

Jared has been working for Jensen for three years, you’d think by now he’d know how things worked. But still...three years later he still has mornings like this. Mornings where his alarm clock does not go off and he doesn’t wake up at 6am. No, today he’s up at 7:52am and completely screwed. Less than an hour to get to work before Jensen, which as Jared knows, Jensen is always at the office by 8:40am sharp.

 

Jared showers and gets dressed faster than he ever thought possible. He skips breakfast, because that’s just going to slow him down. And by 8:09am he’s running out of his apartment, and heading towards the coffee shop.

 

Days like today Jared is glad he decided to move closer to the office after those first few months. He’d never make it to work on time if he had to struggle through New York’s hell of traffic.

 

When he gets to the coffee shop, there is a line all the way to the door. Jared feels a panic rise in his chest at the sight. He can’t be late for work, he can’t get fired. Not after all the work he’s bleed into working for Jensen for three hellish years.

 

As Jared looks over the line, his height really working to his advantage this morning, he lets out a sigh of relief.

 

“Jared! Hey!” A cute little brunette calls from behind the counter.

 

Alexis has saved Jared’s life more times then he can count over the few months that she’s been at the coffee shop. And Jared’s not stupid, he know Alexis is attracted to him. He’s hasn’t missed the hints, or the looks. But his job doesn’t really offer him much of a social life. Not to mention the fact that she’s not really his type.

 

Jared quickly makes his way through the crowd of impatient and grumpy looking customers, as Alexis picks up two coffee cups off the counter.

 

“You’re regular lattes, Jay.” Alexis smiles, handing the cups to Jared.

 

“Thanks Alexis, you literally saved my life. Thank you.” Jared replies, smiling as he takes the cups from her hands. He can tell she wants to say so much more, there’s a sparkle in her eyes. But Jared can’t, and he doesn’t even think about it. He rushes out of the store.

 

Jared runs as fast as he can to the office, almost missing the elevator. Slamming his shoulder into the door as it closes, but luckily not spilling a single drop of the lattes. He still has a little under five minutes before Jensen will get into the office. Not the greatest, but it could be worst.

 

“Everyone okay?” Jared asks as he relaxes in the elevator. Nobody replies, and they all ignore him. This again, is something Jared should be used to. “Yeah, me too.”

 

--

 

Jensen walks the last few blocks to work, needing to be out of the cab when he talks to this particular writer. This really wasn’t supposed to be his call to make, but seeing as Jensen works with incompetent assholes...you sometimes have to do the job yourself.

 

“Hello Frank. How’s my favourite writer?” Jensen says when Frank picks up his phone. Jensen knows this is going to be a tough sell. But he knows what the outcome is going to be.

 

Jensen continues towards the office as he talks to Frank. Ignoring the people around him, they aren’t important.

 

“Of course you’ve been thinking about our talk, because you know I’m right.” Jensen replies as he cross the street, that much closer to finishing the conversation and being able to get comfortable in his office.

 

“Frank, people in this country are busy, and broke. They hate to read. And they need someone they can trust to say, hey, don’t watch C.S.I....Indianapolis tonight, read a book. Read Frank’s book. And that person is Oprah.” Jensen continues, despite Franks words of disapproval and hesitation. Jensen wasn’t going to fail, that just wasn’t on the agenda today.

 

--

 

Jared quickly exits the elevator, needing to get Jensen’s latte into his office within the next couple minutes or else he’s fucked.

 

“Cutting it close.” The receptions calls out to Jared as he passes. She’s clearly already slammed with the morning rush, a phone already by her ear, and another line ringing.

 

“One of those mornings. Thank you captain obvious.” Jared replies, not even bothering to stop. He doesn’t have the time.

 

He unfortunately turns his head, only for a moment, to make his small little chat with the receptionist at least a little personal. Worst fucking mistake ever. He doesn’t turn around fast enough before he slams into someone pushing a cart. He doesn’t even know who this employee is, not that Jared’s really paying attention. Because the who really isn’t that important. What’s important is that he just spilled Jensen’s latte all over his shirt.

 

“Sweet Jesus!” Jared shouts as the hot latte hits his chest. But the heat or the liquid hitting his clothes isn’t the reason he shouts. He shouts because this isn’t good, not good at all.

 

“I’m sorry. Sorry.” The employee mumbles as he quickly backs away from Jared.

 

“Rub some dirt on it bro.” Someone else yells, Jared’s not sure who. He can’t get over the fact that’s he’s seriously fucked.

 

--

 

“Frank the truth is all A plus novelists do publicity.” Jensen continues, Frank still not letting go.

 

Jensen is now walking towards the elevator, minutes away from getting to his office. Unaware of the chaos going on only a few floor above him. Jensen lists off some names of novelists that do publicity, but Frank isn’t listening to Jensen at all. He keeps interrupting.

 

“Frank...Frank! Can I tell you want else they all have in common? A Pulitzer.” Jensen says calmly, once he got Frank’s attention.

 

The elevator doors open, and Jensen enters.

 

--

 

Upstairs Jared is freaking out, he needs a new shirt and fast. Why didn’t he factor this into his fail-safe plan? Stupid, stupid.

 

Jared quickly makes his way to Tom’s desk. Sure, there are a lot of other employees he can talk to. But he does consider Tom a friend, he hopes at least. He really doesn’t socialize much, and working for Jensen, everyone is kind of a little...weird with Jared sometimes. Nobody likes Jensen at all, and they probably feel a little bad for Jared most of the time.

 

Tom is at his desk, looking at his computer. Jared doesn’t even care what he’s doing, if he’s working or not.

 

“I need the shirt off your back Tom.” Jared says, not wasting anytime.

 

“What?” Tom asks, looking up at Jared. He doesn’t think he heard Jared right, he couldn’t have.

 

“I’m serious Tom.” Jared replies, needing the conversation to move a little fast.

 

Tom turns around, a baseball in hand. He’s throwing it back and forth, clearly relaxing until Jensen gets to the office.

 

Tom looks over Jared’s appearance, noticing the stain on his shirt. He smiles.

 

“You’re kidding right.” Tom says, holding back a laugh. Because it all has to be a joke.

 

“Yankees, Boston, this Tuesday. Company seats for your shirt.” Jared replies, totally serious.

 

Tom stares at him, in disbelief as he continues to play with his baseball. Throwing it from hand to hand, seriously thinking of the offer. He knows Jensen wouldn’t really like any of the employees looking like that, but than again he doesn’t work for Jensen specifically. Jared does.

 

“You have five seconds to decide. Five, four, three, two, one.” Jared says, not even looking at Tom. He’s staring at the entrance way, just waiting for Jensen to arrive and his hell day to continue.

 

Tom just sits there, knowing Jared is completely serious. He has to make a decision, and now.

 

At exactly 8:40 everyone at the office who is slacking, relaxing, and talking to their co-workers, they all disperse. They all need to get to work, because right on time, Jensen walks into the office.

 

Jensen still has his phone in hand but he is no longer talking to Frank.

 

Unaware of what’s going on, Jensen continues towards his office. As he does, the nearest employee opens her instant message system that is connect to everyone in the office. She quickly types a message and presses send. Within seconds the message “It’s Here!” appears on everyone’s screen. Now the whole office, even those that aren’t close enough to the main entrance to see personally, know that Jensen is at work.

 

As Jensen walks to his office, everyone starts to work. Jensen looks over the occasional employee but doesn’t say a thing.

 

When Jensen enters his office, Jared is standing there with a latte in his hand. Jared also has Tom's shirt on, clean.

 

“Morning boss.” Jared says with a smile, relieved everything fell into place. Despite all the disasters that lashed out at him today.

 

Jared and Jensen make small business talk while Jensen gets himself settled in. It’s all routine for both of them. The conversation isn’t surprising to Jared, they discuss what’s on the agenda for today. Jensen continues to push back his immigration stuff, as usual. But then Jensen mentions Frank doing Oprah. That gets Jared’s attention.

 

“Wow. Nicely done.” Jared says, not having to fake being impressed about that one. He really is. He knows Jensen is good at what he does. But he never thought Frank would agree to that one. Actually no one in the entire office thought Frank would agree to that.

 

“If I want your praise I will ask for it.” Jensen replies coldly, slightly annoyed as he turns away from his desk of manuscripts and papers, and turns towards his computer.

 

Jensen is about to continue his morning routine, getting himself organized, and getting his latte into his system. That’s when something catches his attention. Something’s off. He then sees a message written on his cup.

 

Jensen slowly turns back towards Jared, who is on his way out of the office.

 

Jared notices the change, but knows not to ask. If Jensen has a problem, Jared knows he won’t hesitant to voice it.

 

“Um...” Jensen starts, as he reads what is on his cup first.

 

Jared stops, taking a breath before turning to face Jensen. All he wants to do is sit down and relax for a second. Calm his nerves.

 

“Who is Alexis? And why does she want me to call her?” Jensen asks, looking up from his cup to look to Jared for a response.

 

Shit. Jared was not expecting that one. Jared doesn’t know what to say, stuck in his lie. He really doesn’t want to admit what happened. But Jensen turns the cup around so that Jared can see what is written, and he gives Jared a look. Jared knows he can’t do anything but tell him what happened.

 

“Well that was originally my cup.” Jared bites the bullet. Knowing it’s not that bad.

 

“And I’m drinking your coffee why?” Jensen asks, not impressed. He just wants to drink his latte and get to work. This is already setting him back, and Jensen has no idea what kind of crap Jared might drink in the morning.

 

“Because your coffee spilled.” Jared replies, now wanting to track that guy down and give him a piece of his mind. Because this just sucks.

 

Jensen just nods, not going to say anything else until he tastes whatever is in the cup. So he slowly puts it to his lips, not wanting to take a big gulp incase he has to spit it right back into the cup. But what he tastes isn’t any different than what he tastes every morning.

 

Jared just stands there, waiting for Jensen’s reaction. They don’t have a personal relationship at all. Jensen knows nothing about Jared, outside of the rare small talk that Jared may have slipped out on during those first few weeks. But this could actually be a little awkward. For him anyways.

 

“So you drink, unsweetened, cinnamon light soy lattes?” Jensen asks.

 

“I do.” Jared replies, really wishing he just slept in and went on his life. It’s not like writing was his dream or anything, damn it. His life officially sucks.

 

But Jensen isn’t the type to make this situation awkward. There is barely any emotion in him at all from Jared’s perspective. Jared should be thankful for that. Anyone else would make fun of him so badly right now.

 

“It’s like Christmas in a cup.” Jared continues when Jensen only grins at him, no real humour behind the smile. Jared wishes someone would shoot him right now.

 

“Is that a coincidence?” Jensen asks.

 

Jared doesn’t understand why this conversation is still happening; why doesn’t Jensen just continues on with his day. Why can’t Jared go to his desk and finally have some time to breath since waking up.

 

“Incredibly, it is.” Jared replies, knowing Jensen doesn’t buy it for a second.

 

“I mean...I wouldn't possibly drink the same coffee that you drink just incase yours spilled, that would pathetic.” Jared continues, not even trying that hard as he walks towards the now ringing phone. Obviously the universe seriously wanted to screw with him today.

 

“Morning, Ackles office.” Jared greets, as he picks up the phone.

 

Jensen just turns towards his computer, the call ending their conversation. He really shouldn’t care about the latte, he has his drink. But the whole situation is slightly amusing to Jensen for some reason.

 

“Hey Chad.” Jared replies as Chad talks through the phone.

 

Jared looks over at Jensen as he makes a hand gesture, that probably only Jared can translate. No one else in the office would ever take the time to learn all Jensen’s random and crazy work habits. And Jared is really the only one that has to.

 

Jared’s slightly confused now, but he passes the message onto Chad. “Actually we’re heading to your office right now, bye.”

 

Jared hangs the phone up, not taking his eyes off Jensen. Jensen, however, still has his back to Jared.

 

“Why are we heading to Chad’s office?” Jared asks, as Jensen slowly turns around in his chair.

 

Jensen doesn’t replies, he just tilts his head and smiles slightly. He goes to his pile of papers.

 

This can’t be good. Jared just smiles back, and heads out of the office calmly.

 

The second Jared’s out of Jensen’s office, he rushes to his computer. He frantically types a message on the instant message system that is connected to everyone on the office floor.

 

His message reads: THE WITCH IS ON HIS BROOM.

 

Jared hits send, and looks up from his computer. Jared watches as everyone on the office floor scrambles to get back to looking busy. Jared waits a moment, making sure everyone got the message.

 

Jensen then exits his office, unaware of what is going on around him. He just ignores it all.

 

Jared quickly joins Jensen as they walk towards Chad’s office. “Have you finished the manuscript I gave you?”

 

“I read a few pages, I wasn’t really impressed.” Jensen replies, crinkling his noise a bit. Acting as if whatever he read was a clear waste of his time.

 

“Can I say something.” Jared says, not really a question. He rarely steps out of line, but he needs to say this or he’s going to rot in this job.

 

“No.”

 

“I’ve read thousands of manuscripts, and this is the only one I’ve ever given you. There’s an incredible novel in there. The kind of novel you used to publish.” Jared continues, seeing Tom move towards them out of the corner of his eye.

 

“Um...wrong.” Jensen replies.

 

They both make a note of Tom. Jared hating the timing of it all, while Jensen takes in the appearance of his shirt. Tom clearly realizes he fucked up, and prays Jensen doesn’t freak out. But Jensen continues, not even missing a beat. But he doesn’t yell, or freak out, or make a scene like Tom is expecting.

 

“And I do think you order the same coffee as I do just incase you spill, which is in fact pathetic.”

 

TBC