Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Fandom:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Sinful Desire
Stats:
Published:
2008-03-04
Completed:
2008-11-16
Words:
3,587
Chapters:
3/3
Kudos:
8
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
101

Forming a Family

Summary:

Jared and Jensen have been together for a while now, and they decide to adopt. Because we all know they'd make great parents!

Notes:

Note from the Sinful Desire archivists: this story was originally archived at Sinful-Desire.org. To preserve the archive, we began importing its works to the AO3 as an Open Doors-approved project in November 2016. We e-mailed all creators about the move and posted announcements, but may not have reached everyone. If you are (or know) this creator, please contact us using the e-mail address on Sinful Desire collection profile.

Chapter 1: Chapter 1

Chapter Text

Jared paced around the living room, twisting the ring around his finger nervously as he waited for Jen to get home after his regular game with Tom. It was stupid, he knew. But he wanted to do this; he wanted to do it now.

 

Jensen always told him that he was too impressionable, that he shouldn't watch or read anything that he knew would tug on his heart strings until he did something, anything, to help.

 

And Jared knew that this was always something that he'd wanted to do since he came out, more when he started with Jensen, most when they'd gotten hitched. And he was spurred into action when he'd watched a movie where a kid had been horribly abused in a foster home.

 

Jared had wanted to have a family of his own for as long as he could remember; and as soon as he'd realized that -by rule of thumb- he prefered men over women as possible life-long companions, he'd looked into adoption. He wanted a child to call his own, to raise as his own; more than one if possible.

 

Jared twisted the smooth, simple silver band around his finger more vigorously now. Jensen would be home soon. He could only hope that Jensen would understand, would be as anxious as Jared was himself to do this.

 

The door opened and Jensen sighed, tossing a hand in the air and trudging up the stairs to their bedroom. Jared watched him, frozen, his hand still on his ring. Then he pushed himself into action. He stopped near the door and picked up the coat Jensen had shrugged out of, resting it on a hook against the wall.

 

He pulled in a deep breath, releasing it as he followed Jensen's trail up the stairs and down the hall. The door was wide open, and the window was thrown wide a warm breeze whispering around the room. Jared looked down at the bed, at Jensen.

 

Jensen was lying across the bed -nearest the door, his left arm tossed over his eyes to shade them. Jared smiled, as he always did when he watched Jensen without him knowing. Jared crossed the room and crawled into bed, Jensen's arm loosely wrapped itself around Jared's broad shoulders as he tucked himself against Jen's body, under his arm. Jared rolled more on to his back, using Jen's arm as a pillow. He paused; reaching up to play with Jensen's fingers.

 

"What?" Jensen asked, not bothering to remove his arm.

 

"Hmm?" Jared murmured, trying to remember the words he'd practiced in his mind.

 

"I can hear you thinking, what's bugging you?"

 

Jared looked at the hand next to his head, at the light glittering off Jensen's matching band, and smiled slightly as he resumed his absent playing. "Well..." He nibbled his lower lip, and his speech flew out of his head. "I want to adopt. I want to have a kid with you."

 

"Okay, and?" Jensen asked slowly, deliberatly.

 

"I know it's a little- Wait, what?" Jared asked, fingers stilling.

 

"Jay," Jensen said slowly, "I always knew how important having a family was to you. I guess I'm a little surprised that you waited this long to bring it up."

 

"Well... Um, oh... So, your thoughts?" Jared asked quietly, and traced the tip of his fingers over Jensen's palm.

 

"It's going to take a while to go through all the motions, but I knew you and kids were a package deal," Jared's head jostled as Jensen shrugged, "And I realized that raising kids with you would be better than anything else we could do together. Well, maybe not anything; but a very close second."

 

Jared chuckled as the not-so-subtle induendo registered.

 

"Anything else on your mind?" Jensen asked, his arm still over his eyes.

 

"Isn't that enough for now?" Jared asked, surprised.

 

Jensen snorted, finally removing his arm from his eyes. "You're an idiot, Jay." He stopped mid-chuckle. "How worked up did you get about this?"

 

Jared shrugged and flushed, not bothering to lie, "Pretty."

 

Jensen kissed the top of his head. "Idiot," he repeated, lovingly. "You had to have known we'd have kids one day."

 

"I'd hoped, well, dreamed more than hoped," Jared whispered, his cheeks on fire. "I didn't think... That is... Well, you never said one way or another... If you wanted kids, I mean... And-"

 

"Jay. Shut up." Jared looked up, a little surprised, straining his neck, and Jensen caught his lips in a kiss. "Can you quiet your thoughts so I can sleep a little now?"

 

Jared nodded, and turned his head to look at Jensen's hand again, and he tangled their fingers together. Jensen tossed his arm over his eyes again.

 

Jared was still for a slight moment, and then he felt a huge grin crack his face in half with the amount of joy it held. "We're having a baby," Jared crooned melodically and squeezed Jensen's hand gently.

 

Jensen groaned lightly, and Jared tilted his head to look at him, pleased to see a matching smile on his partner's face.